Converting to roller furling

underDAWG

I am in the process of converting to roller furling and decided to buy Harken 434. What exactly I need to do for the jib? I spoke with a sailmaker shop, they want $238 for it? I am not exactly clear what I am play for? Anyone have closeup pic will be helpful? TIA.

Later,

Furling jib

Catalina Yachts charges $289 for a jib to use with rolling furling, so the price you were quoted sounds reasonable.

Re: Furling jib

Originally posted by Ed Jones
Catalina Yachts charges $289 for a jib to use with rolling furling, so the price you were quoted sounds reasonable.
Ed,

I beleive the price includes the jib itself. I am going to reuse my own jib, all I need is to replace with a stiffer wire based on the info from Harken website. Do you have any pic to exactly how it suppose to look? Send pic to lys(at)zoominternet.net Thanks.

Later,

When I converted mine, I didn't have to do much of anything. It's been awhile, but this is what I remember:

I took the hanks off. I was expecting to have to put a new wire in the jib, but the one there was fine.

You'll have to move the tension adjuster from the tack of the jib up to the head. Put the furler where the adjuster was. You'll also have to put a swivel (which comes with the Harken kit) between the head of the jib and the pennant. That's about it.

For the control line, I put two fairleads on the deck, bolted through. One is just a few inches away from the furler so the line goes in at the right angle. This one you have to eyeball. You want the line to be essentially parallel to the angle of the furler. The other one I put a few feet back, just before a cam cleat. The cam cleat is maybe four or five inches in front of the fairing. Far enough forward that it's easy to set the line into the cleat from amidships.

You can't use your old forestay because it needs to be shorter to compensate for the length of the roller furler which becomes part of the overall length.

When I went from roller to hank on jib I got a new forestay with the top tang already attached for use with a regular jib.

Back