Clew Sleeve Releases under sail

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Cindy Taylor, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Josef

Josef New Member

I do, I just can not bring myself to spead that much money on changeing something that I personaly have no problems using (might have something to do with me beeing slightly stupid and liking to stand and balance on the boat wile trying to release the outhaul on a 10m/s downwind leg ;).

I've tried the new system, and I just don't think it's worth the money =P

2. BruceB2

BruceB2 New Member

Did anyone else notice that the hook is mounted incorrectly in the Sailing World pic? Should it not be inbetween? I tried the sleeve and it poped off three times in light air. Once on a roll tack and twice while standing on the bow fanning my way out to the course. Forget that thing! But, really, all you need is an inhaul and problem solved. Personally, I use a Harken clue hook with attached air block (just like hook and block that comes with sleeve, but smaller hook) with a velcro clue strap with inhaul.

3. vtgent49

vtgent49 Member

Bruce,

I think the Sailing world pic is fine, hook and block in the middle, but the clew is actually on the port side of the two sleeve "ears".

Cindy,

You left us hanging here? Your's ok now, shorter pin or what?

Al

4. Cindy Taylor

Cindy Taylor Member

Well, I did buy a shorter pin and put it on. We have had lots of wind lately and during practice sailing I want to use my Intensity sail. I played around with the clew sleeve on land with the Intensity sail and I decided that the grommet is different enough that the hook has a potential of coming off with the Intensity sail. So, I have switched back to my shackle and my velcro strap. That works with both my Intensity sail and my legal Laser sail. I would love to hear anyone's experience with the Intensity sail and the clew sleeve. The clew sleeve is fine with the legal Laser sail but I don't want to blow out my legal laser sail in 20 mph winds.... I want to have fun with a decent inexpensive sail in those winds.

5. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Well, I just got an Intensity Radial sail, and the second time I used it it unhooked itself under sail and the boom fell off. I had to sail in, using my arm as boom to get the boat rigged again. I noticed that when I put the clew hook on before the failure, it was pointing somewhat backward, which it didn't want to do the first time that I used it (successfully). So I read John Christiansons instructions on this thread and tried again today. The hook was pointing down and only slightly back today. It was 6-12 knots, puffy, and I had no problem. The jury is still out, with only 3 uses so far, but I think the key could be how the hook sits, not pointing aft.

6. IntensitySails

IntensitySails Member

For what it is worth, I have been using the clew sleeve with an Intensity Full Rig sail all winter without any problem. The clew grommet is the same on all 3 sizes of our sails. If anyone is having an issue with this please let me know so we can work out a solution.

7. dobh

dobh New Member

I'm fairly new to all this but i'll add my two peneth . I've had my clew sleeve for two weeks used it twice with a standard laser sail in 10 & 15+ knots of wind , it has'nt released (yet!) but i have to say once installed the hook points more downwards than aft , is this normal ? :rolleyes:

8. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Mine points more down too. However I noticed this past weekend most folks sleeves look just like mine. It only released on me the first time I used it. I've used it a ton since w/no problems. I chalk up my first experience to operator error.

9. alienzero

alienzero New Member

Here are pics of my clew sleeve. I've only sailed with it two times since installing it, but it has worked great so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dobh

dobh New Member

Thanks for the reply Rob , the picture that Alienzero has posted is exactly how my hook sits and it has'nt released yet,so i'm keeping my fingers crossed ! Hopefully the benefits of the sleeve ( fast rigging , easy adjusments, etc) are going to out weigh the diadvantages of a possible release !!!

11. John Christians

John Christians New Member

Dear dobh and Rob B,
    I am the inventor of the sleeve and can tell you the normal direction of
    the hook end is straight down. Some angle aft a little bit, but at full
    load straight down is normal. Be sure your pin is 1/2" long,as measured
    from the underneath surface of the head to the near edge of the hole.
    Change it if it is not. This is very important. JC

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

* I dont want to Hijack to much, but I can't message JC, so I gotta do it here..

Hey John, what do you think of a JC strap for the Laser( like on Finns)? I've had talks here on it, and made mock ups, and posted pics on my blog, but when I get my cast off from surgery I just had, I'll rig it up, do you think its worth pursuing?

13. dobh

dobh New Member

Thanks John for the reply,and for clarifying the correct position of the hook ,i have a 1/2 pin so i can now go sailing in confidence.
    Thanks again from a happy sailor :)