Clew Sleeve Not Sliding

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by ABZLaser, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Ross B

Ross B Guest

2. powergroove

powergroove Member

Win design, or should I say Loser design, thats it. If it keeps slipping, thats gonna suck

3. Ross B

Ross B Guest

the Rooster or the Sea ones are the way to go, I've never had a problem with them

4. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Hey,

I am all for progress etc... but, I can honestly not see the advantage to all this velcro, clew strap stuff.

I am pretty sure that I can get the normal clew tie down tighter and it has NEVER EVER jammed on me - not once in over 20 years of sailing a laser.

So, my recommendation to you ABZlaser is lose both the velcro and the clew stap - spend the coin you would have on those and get a 20 ft of 1/8" line and make yourself about 8 clew ties. If you are concerned about losing one, take an extra one in your pocket.

Anycase, as far as any more changes to the rigging - pshaw on that - complete waste of time in my opinion. Anyone invent a better paper clip lately?

Matt

5. Ross B

Ross B Guest

its consistent, and quick, and easy to do

all about personal preference, its a beautiful thing

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

Exactly. That's what one-design sailing is all about.

7. Ross B

Ross B Guest

exactly, your allowed several kind of clew tie downs, that are legal under the rules, its a one design boat

8. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Indeed -

But for the sake of 45 bucks - I think a square knot works just fine.

Geezer - sorry I don't 'get' your comment. One design sailing to me means I shouldnt have to waste time thinking about this stuff - are you agreeing with me? or just being sarcastic?

m

9. Ross B

Ross B Guest

no body said you had to spend the 45, you could always spend 2 buck on a piece of line that will stretch 8 inches..., or spend 10 buck on a piece of line that won't stretch, but is difficult to tie and untie with its blowing 20

or

spend the 45, and know that your clew will be at the SAME height every single time, 45 bucks for piece of mind, beautiful

10. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

I once thought his was a problem, which was why I looked into a velcro, but with a bit of practice you can do it easy with the rope set up.

Make sure boat is slightly off head to wind to put the boom off the aft quarter. No need to lean in over the transom then.

attach clew hook

apply outhaul tightly (reduces the amount of boom flap)

tie the knot

release outhaul

done.

11. Ross B

Ross B Guest

well yea, you could do it that way

work with me Saw, come on

I still think the two straps are the easiest ways to do it, but thats just me

12. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

It's idiot proof, huh?

Actually, I've tried them all and they all work. I like the strap the least, because the clew hook tended to pop off more than with the others for me.

But we digress. The poster wanted to know how to get his metal strap to slide. You may also want to lightly steel wool your boom and also make sure your lines are clean. Dirty lines are stiff and they stick. Then there's the lubrication already mentioned.

13. Ross B

Ross B Guest

people here don't use the clew hook on the velcro strap, to much trouble

14. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Chainsaw - I do the same as you, with one modification - if it is really honking and you're concerned about taking a grommet to the noggin, then I actually connect up the outhaul first, then put the boom in the goose neck. Then sinch up the outhaul. Gives me more control of the sail.

Ross - I don't get it Ross - you seem so full of contradictions.

On the one hand you pontificate about saving money and on the other, you seem to have spent about 60 dollars on clew tie downs (as you say, you have never had a problem with the SEA, the Rooster or the Clew Sleeve). That is alot of hardware for a 8 dollar piece of line for a guy concerned about saving money.

In an earlier thread about this exact same topic, you mention that 1/4 inch won't make a difference, and then in this thread, you imply that the 'peace of mind' is worth 45 dollars?

Please, if you are going to toss out opinions and advice with such amazing frequency and run for some Class office (unless that is some elaborate joke), at least be consistent in your views and advice - otherwise, you come across as simply being a know it all typing to hear the sound of your own voice.

Sorry if that sounds harsh,

Matt

15. Ross B

Ross B Guest

you know I save all the money? want to know my secret? I'm 20, live at home, and am "sponsored" by my parents!

and yes, the class office is a bit of a joke, for now, in 10 years, it might be serious

"In an earlier thread about this exact same topic, you mention that 1/4 inch won't make a difference, and then in this thread, you imply that the 'peace of mind' is worth 45 dollars?"

yep, basically

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Member

I think I was being sarcastic and agreeing with you. It was amazing to me that someone could argue that personal preference is a beautiful thing in this context. To me, that sentiment goes against the whole essence of one-design sailing.

One means one.

17. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

well...I can use it. Do we need to find another to prove the case? ;)

The thing is, I thought the amazing new sleeve was the end to all worries. No sticking, no messing about, just plop it on and done. Was it not advertised as the be all solution?

The mark of true genius.

Other people's money. The man cares about other peoples money. He is truely Selfless. :cool:

That's his money. Product research, finding the final 0.00005678 of a knot. An inspiration to us all. :D

Context is everything. He's had time to rethink. :p

I would guess that 1/4" of slack along the leech would be about 2" of vang line coming out of a 12:1 system. Maybe less.

Sounds like the perfect political candidate. Vote Ross for NA boss!

18. Ross B

Ross B Guest

now what about the fact that we have Hyde and North sails? and vanguard boats and spars, and Aussie and Euro boats and spars?

how about everything built in one place? and it has to be shipped all over?

exactly, I try out everything to see what's best

19. Mawill

Mawill New Member

Hate to break it to you , but living off Mum and Dad is not really a big secret - it was pretty obvious. BUt for someone who has not cut the apron strings yet you sure like to tell others to get a job and to save money!

"yep, basically" - what is that supposed to mean? I know I said it made no difference, but I changed my mind and now I feel all at peace with my 45 dollar soup can on the end of my boom! Nice.

Filter ON.

20. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Glad I could help you matt

and I do live at home, and the parents help, but they only pay for half of my sailing