Clew Sleeve Not Sliding

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by ABZLaser, Jul 27, 2007.

1. ABZLaser

ABZLaser New Member

I've just fitted my new Harken Clew Sleeve and am experiencing problems getting it to slide back and forth on the boom when adjusting the outhaul. I've rigged it as per the packaging instructions (Hook on port side, line on Starboard).
    Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Perhalps I've opened it up too much when fitting it?
    Forecast is for a blow tomorrow, so back to the velcro strap!

2. Mudi 08757

Mudi 08757 Member

Did you try any McLube or TriFlow on the area... It needs to have a reduced friction area to slide metal on metal..

3. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

Yep, McLube it. Mine stuck until I did, then just glided in and out after I lubed it.

4. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Mine jammed totally mid race in the first heat of the last regatta I sailed.

I couldn't get back to the beach and had to sail the whole day with the outhaul stuck in one spot.

I have since gone back to the strap, and had no probs. I'm sure the strap holds the leech tighter as well. Mostly likely throw my sleeve up on EBAY, I'm over it.

5. Ross B

Ross B Guest

gotta keep putting mclube on it, its not a one time fix all thing, you have to take care and maintain your gear

6. ABZLaser

ABZLaser New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Went back to using the strap on Saturday (blowing a gusty Force 4), sailed 3 races and on the last beat on the 3rd race the velcro strap came undone! So now it's back to using a piece of rope!

7. powergroove

powergroove Member

Im not real happy with the velcro, maybe I am not threading it right. Pics/tricks anyone?

8. Ross B

Ross B Guest

9. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

10. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

11. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

There's no threading involved. The strap just goes through the clew grommet as far as I remember (it's been awhile because I lost the strap and am now using the 'classical' Harken clew hook).

12. Ross B

Ross B Guest

its simple, put the strap through the grommet on the sail, around the boom, then through the metal ring on the strap, and velcro it onto itself, then put velcro flap on, its not that hard, hence idiot proof

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

When someone has asked a serious question, it is not acceptable to describe the solution as idiot proof. You called the poster an idiot by using such language, and you continue to do so.

14. powergroove

powergroove Member

I know you meant no disrespect, but really the strap seems a little short, only an inch or so of velcro adheres. It came loose on the first beat, 1st race, so i had 3 or 4 non Laser, non dinghy sailors try to figure it out. The more beer we drank the less we understood. I cut it twice and its still too short...

15. Ross B

Ross B Guest

Well for me it was. I never meant for it to be for him, and I am not calling him an idiot, if I was, I would have added his name to my post and outright called him one, which I did not.

But

If I did hurt his feelings in any way, then I'm sorry powergroove

16. Ross B

Ross B Guest

why did you cut it?

it should come perfect as is

who did you order the strap from?

17. powergroove

powergroove Member

i didnt cut it, that was a joke, an old one at that

I ordered it from APS

18. Chainsaw

Chainsaw Brmmm Brmmm

Interesting to see more comments on the sleeve now there has been more time. Tried the velcro strap for a while and it began to slip, then let go once. Went back to rope, realising that better systems exist, but under laser OD rules, all these compromises are never going to work 100%. It's crazy someone can't solve this outhaul slide business out.

How's the all-in-one-clew-outhaul failsafe (idiot proof) system design coming along, Ross?

19. Ross B

Ross B Guest

but which one? SEA, Rooster, Laser??

easy mate, the foot of the sail would be a full length bolt rope, into the boom, Finn, CFJ,420, 505 and every other dinghy style

20. powergroove

powergroove Member

Im not sure, black with white closure strap, red lettering on the white part.