"Class" sail designation, what's it mean?

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by winever, Apr 30, 2011.

1. winever

winever Member

I have three different sails with the pictured sailmakers patch. I know the one sail is a racing sail because I bought it that way. The other 2 came with boats and I assumed they are both recreational. OK, but why the "Class"designation on them? Anyone have the story? Thanks, Win ever.

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      175.3 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      292.1 KB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      208.8 KB
      Views:
  2. tag

tag my2fish

someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all (3) sails are class-approved, so all (3) sails can be used for class racing events. this is as opposed to the cheaper, non-class-legal sails that you can get from Intensity Sails, APS, and Neil Pryde.

the 3rd sail is probably a racing cut - same outside dimensions, but made with a deeper camber to give the sail more power for racing.

cheers,
    tag

3. winever

winever Member

Oh, OK, so they are legal to eace class sanctioned events even thought they may not be the racing cut. Learned something new, thanks. I did measure the and the racing sail is 2 and half inches longer on the spars. Thanks, Win ever.

4. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Those are all antique sails!
    :)Treat them with all due respect :)

For quite a number of years, 'class approved' sails have been made in the North loft in Sri Lanka.