Checking in...

N7470

Hello everyone

I thought I may as well introduce myself as I am new here. I am no stranger to the Capri 14.2, however. I have been sailing 14.2s since about 1997. I am a freshman at Cal State Long Beach and was invited/voted in Febuary to be the Vice commodore of the school's Sailing Association, which I have been a member of since last september. Our fleet consists of:

5 Capri 14.2s(two mod 3s, one mod 1, and two mod 2s)
5 Shields 30s (wonderful, wonderful boats)
1 Coronado 15(outstanding boat)
1 Sabot
1 Ranger 22(rarely used, and for sale)
9 Lasers
a few windsurfers

We share a dock with the City of Long Beach's Leeway Sailing Center, although our C-15 and Shields are located at other docks around Alamitos Bay.

Lately, I have been spending as much time doing maintenace on boats as sailing them. I have a passion for making a boat look just as great as it can sail. On weekends, I typically sail the C-15 or a Laser, or sail on one of our Shields with a few other members.

Sailing at Cal State Long Beach

Hey, do you guys race your Capris? If so, maybe you'd like to trailer down with a boat or two for the Nationals in San Diego. (Sept. 17-18)

Ed Jones
[email protected]

I sure wish we could. We race them in local beer can races, and do have race sails for them, but they all have bottom paint, necessary as they are stored on the water. :( That all said, they are primarily instruction boats that are used also for recreational sailing. The people who use them are often novices and they do get dismasted once in a while. :rolleyes:

Are de-mastings new to you guys? I've never had one happen to me, but I have seen several and fixed several more after. Water gets into the shrouds and corrodes them, weakening them. It only takes strong winds and a sudden shock to do the rest. The masts are almost always fine, but the mast base usually gets bent, or torn out. Thru bolting solves the tear outs. You guys who use your boats occasionally will only rarely see the kinds of failures the boats ours or the city's do.

The above post was mine, in case anybody was wondering. I forgot to log in. :rolleyes:

I hope I am not giving the impression that the boats are abused, but one must remember that these boats are used by learners and novices in addition to competent sailors, so they do get their fair share of fast dockings and less than skilled handling(I can imagine you diehard C14.2 lovers cringing). :(

Back