Centerboard control /hold down

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by lhtella, Aug 23, 2004.

1. lhtella

lhtella New Member

We had to remove all ropes, etc from the boat for storage last winter. I'm now trying to put it back together. I ordered and used the Handbook for boom, mast, transom (thank you!). But I'm having trouble with the centerboard. Does anyone have a picture of what the floor of the boat should look like? I have to replace the shockcord (I've been using a bungee cord), but can't figure out how the CB rigging should go. I have 4 ropes left over, so hope they go there ;)

Thanks for your help!
    Linda

2. Jack McCollum

Jack McCollum New Member

Hi Linda,

I didn't see if you mentioned what model you have? I've seen a mod II with controls on both sides for raising and lowering the centerboard but on my mod III there is a single line on the port side of the floor that goes up in front of the board. Please let us know what type you have.

3. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad New Member

Here are two pictures from my Mod II that might help. However, I recently changed the setup to a single line down the center just to the port of the centerboard. It has less parts and works easier.

Here is the first picture

Attached Files:

4. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad New Member

and the second picture on the port side

Attached Files:

5. lhtella

lhtella New Member

Yes, those pictures help....thanks! But I must have a ModIII as there is only one pulley in the front. How do I tell which Mod I have...Hull #4704I798

thanks again

6. Jack McCollum

Jack McCollum New Member

You probably have a mod III which means you will have a single line going down the floor on the port side of the CB.

As you look forward to below the hatch you will have a pulley/block on the left and a little loop just to the right. Take your line and put a knot in one end and feed it into the loop on the right then through the metal loop attached to the top of the CB and then back through the pulley/block up front. then from there you go back along the port side of the CB on the floor through a cleat and then through a small block on the floor about half way back on the boat. Leave enough so you can haul up on the line to raise the board.

7. Lark

Lark New Member

Here's the sheet that came with my 2003

Now I have the 14.2 expo, but the centerboard is the same as the more recent 'stayed' boats.

8. Lark

Lark New Member

Whoops, here's the file

Apparently it was too big...

Attached Files:

9. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad New Member

That is the setup I changed mine to. The single line works better for me.

10. lhtella

lhtella New Member

Thanks all...rigged and ready to go :)

11. cfos

cfos New Member

Larry,
    My wife and I just bought a 1988 model and I was just surfing through the messages and looked at your picture because I don't like the double line. However, I really liked your cutty hatch. Did you make it or is it stock. My hatch just slips up under the rail on top and is a bit of a pain.

Craig

12. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad New Member

I made out of teak. It will also lift off of the hinges for full access.

13. Jim Ach

Jim Ach New Member

hatch cover

Larry,

I too am taken with your hatch cover and would like to make one for myself.

It looks like you make it from solid teak. Is that right? Did you use any plywood? How did you attach the inside "box" to the cover? It looks like you used angle-drilled screws. Is that right? If so why? Are they bolted onto the cover? Is the canvas pouch attached to the outside of the cover?

You say the hatch cover will lift off its hinges, but it looks like it tucks right under the teak overhang. How does that work? Did you use brass hardware? Stainless?

20/20 hindsight, anything you'd change if you did it again?

Anyhow, its a work of art. You could probably sell a bunch to owners of older C-14.2s if you were so inclined. Congratulations on a good design well executed.

Jim Ach

14. Larry Conrad

Larry Conrad New Member

I did not replace the bag because I like the solid Teak. Instead I installed a couple of small rope holders for the sheets - one port and one starboard.

Here are some part numbers and "could have done betters" not easily seen in the original picture.

Attached Files: