Carrying daggerboard and gear on plane

ralfeez

What container do you use when you travel with your gear? Do you have one that fits your daggerboard, rudder, and your tiller?
thanks,
Ralph

At the 2006 Internaional Master someone chartered a boat and brought there own blades. They used a golf bag to protect the blades and checked it. The airlines already know how to handle them. I thought it was a very good idea.

The last time I flew I used my blade bag. I took the rudder and tiller apart. I also loaded the sail, some tools and other gear into the bag (padded). I had made a carton to cover the bag, but it made it rank oversized. The airline had me ditch the carton and provided me a large, heavy-duty plastic bag to put over the blade bag. It was back before they charged for bags (Southwest still does not). At the NA's this past week there was discussion of such a bag being overweight now (50 lbs. is the limit on some airlines), which would cause an additional charge. My bag did suffer a little damage (the plastic tore in a few spots), with a few grease marks and wear spots. But, that's what the bag is for! On the flight home they must have been a little rougher with the bag, as a small chunk was out of the trailing edge of the daggerboard, necessitating a repair. The plastic bags were designated for transport of "sporting goods."

I am hoping we can encourage all of our fleet members world-wide who are hosting regattas that others would fly in for to be willing to loan blades and ideally everything, except maybe the sail. If borrowers/charterers are willing to fix/replace anything they damage/break, we will save all of us a lot of hassle and make our events more successful.

Back