capri ladder

taraiggy

I am looking for suggestions on putting a ladder on my Capri 14. I know of the rope suggestion in the handbook. I also seem to remember a thread on ladders but I can't seem to find it now.

What I am considering is a 2-step telescoping ladder

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/...0051&langId=-1&productId=13217113#description

I am thinking of attaching it close to the waterline and then have it up while under sail (maybe bungee cord it to the hiking strap), and then be able to swing it down into the water for use. Ideally I could attach it such that I could remove it for trailering and racing (If I were ever to do that).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach this (I'm not very experienced at this), any "gotchas", or even any better ladder suggestions.

Any help would be appreciated,
thanks

Check in with forum members Dave Lilley and regularman. Both seem to have a ton of knowledge on adding things to the boat. Only advice I have on the ladder is if you can, mount it to a solid part of the transome. I think one side is hollow and the other side has some kind of core suitible for mounting a motor or ladder, but I may be wrong. Mount the ladder so it does not get inthe way of the rudder and tiller. :eek:

Hey Ed - the price is right, but have you seen one of these? From the description on the website it sounds like they are designed to be mounted on a swimdeck and flipped over into the water as desired. So, in the "unflipped" state the ladder would rest on top of the swim deck in the horizontal position. In our case, it would be mounted on the transom in a vertical postion. Will it stay collapsed in such a position.

I bought and installed a "rope-ladder" style swim step that attaches to the inside of the transom. I have used the rope loop several times. It worked, but always hurt. The new swim step has only one plastic step, but it has to be better than the loop. (I haven't tested it yet, but my four-year-old used it to climb into my boat while it was in the garage.)

I posted some links to some rigid swim-steps about halfway down this page: http://www.capri14.org/forum/showthread.php?t=292&page=1

Ed,

Per my message above... I just read the new May 2005 Mainsheet, and in there you reference the Feb 2005 Mainsheet. OK, I went and dug that one out and found the article on the telescoping ladder. Somehow I missed it back in February.

I understand now... the ladder mounts on the bottom of the transom, not the top. And you swing it up when not using it, and swing it down when you need it. And you have to use a line to keep it secured upright until you need it.

PS: That's a nice looking new picture of you in the magazine, Ed. Lookin' good!

Back