Capri 14.2 Mast Head Pulley (Sheave)

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Steve Rose, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. Steve Rose

    Steve Rose Member

    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    I needed to replace my badly damaged mast head pulley, but could not find a suitable candidate. So, I sketched one (attached). If anyone is interested in a lathe/milling machine project, this would be fun.

    However, I found a pulley and bearing on McMaster.com that I installed on my mast.
    Diameter 3-1/2" Pulley: 9466T64 ($7.75)
    Diameter 5/16" Bronze Bearing: 6391K405 ($1.25)

    Press the bronze bearing inside the bearing that is molded into the pulley.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Ken Vanstory

    Ken Vanstory New Member

    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Or you can order one from Catalina Direct, Product #: J1422, $26.92. See http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=1795&ParentCat=443 ... a bit more expensive than your rig but made to order. Catalina Yachts is pretty good about repair parts availability for their boats.
     
  3. Steve Rose

    Steve Rose Member

    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    8
    That looks like the same design that I replaced. The inner diameter (bearing surface) is plastic; mine was worn and had radial cracks emanating from the axis. I expect that the bronze bearing will provide better service.
     
  4. Pirate & Scooter

    Pirate & Scooter New Member

    Likes Received:
    15
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Thanks for the outstanding suggestion Steve! The McMaster pulley was installed this afternoon and worked remarkably. ~$12 with S/H total for a brilliant solution that rolls noticeably smoother on the brass bearing than the standard plastic and the nylon material was apparently intended for wire cables and feels more durable than the Catalina version (not that the Catalina pulley didn't perform well for a bazillion years).

    I included some photos of the new pulley if folks wanted to see it in action, although I should have popped a pic before I bolted it back in. I finally had to give up on the old pulley because enough of it had cracked to let the halyard slip in between the pulley and mast which nearly sheared through the halyard.

    Thanks again, great replacement idea!

    Chris & Tammy


    IMG_20151204_102808538.jpg IMG_20151204_102856737_HDR.jpg IMG_20151204_103131746.jpg
     

Share This Page