Capri 14.2 mast foot repair

Discussion in 'Capri/Catalina 14 Talk' started by Bill Flynn, Mar 7, 2016.

1. boat

boat Member

Congratulations on the Vagabond!!!! Yep, just kidding about racing and I fully understand the joy of "just for fun" sailing. My curse, one of many, is that I can't resist competition; if I see another sailboat I can not resist the urge to go faster, just my thing. I have raced just about anything that will move for my entire life and loved every minute of it; sail boats, hydroplanes, power boats, airplanes, cars, all types of motorcycles, etc. My curse should not apply to anyone but me and a few other guys that are perhaps nearly as messed up as I am:confused:.

Enjoy and have a great sail;):)

• Like Like x 1
  2. woodbark

woodbark Member

Stearman - very beautiful indeed - Radial Engines even more beautiful .... and yes, with all that cable bracing = plenty of drag .... still, don't think I'd be able to catch you in a CGS Hawk Ultralight :cool:

3. Shaun Sanders

Shaun Sanders New Member

On my 14.2, which I recently bought and restored, I drilled out the old holes, filled them with epoxy, and let it set. Then I simply drilled new screw holes and screwed down the mast step using the same sized screws as the old ones. Why do something so simple? As far as I know, the original design allowed for the mast step/base to pull out from the deck in case of a de-masting; the original screws were set into a type of releasable epoxy, which would be way better than having the fiberglass ripped out, yes? It's working fine, as I had her out in high winds this weekend; a great ride:). If you have wood rot, replace the block of wood.

• Like Like x 1