Can you please check my rigging - getting ready for first time out....

deeman

This forum has been a huge in my project to restore this 1974 Laser. I just did a "dry run" rigging in the back yard and snapped some pics. I wonder if you can tell me if I have anything wrong. I know there may be some upgrades in order, but I am more interested to make sure I am on the right page for rigging this.

I really need a cover for this thing!! It sits under an oak tree and the squirrels have been busy sending nuts down for the winter and about 50 of them landed on, in and around the boat. It made it a total mess. Also, I still need to install the self bailer. I actually got new o-rings and the flap and put it on about 10 minutes ago. I hope to get out tomorrow IF the weather cooperates - it's calling for storms right now.

Old school vang and downhaul.
fall2010081.jpg

Hiking strap and outhaul.
fall2010082.jpg

The traveler and rudder / tiller. The wooden tiller was a bit loose in the rudder stock and I added some washers and electrical tape to make the fit more snug. It certainly helped. The carbon fiber hiking stick is only 32" long and seems too short. I have the original aluminum one and will have see how big of a problem the short hiking stick is. The 32" stick almost makes it to the main sheet ratchet.
lpic1.jpg

Hiking strap install. The red bungee may be a bit too short since the strap is really held high. Thoughts?
lpic2.jpg

One more pic of the rudder setup. I am pretty sure after looking at the pics that I have the tiller downhaul line UNDER the tiller propping it up a bit right near the rudder stick - I noticed this before in another dry run and will have to be sure to situate the line better so it does not prop up the tiller.
lpic3.jpg

Outhaul - I think I have it right.
lpic4.jpg

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Mainsheet at the end of the boom - Instead of tying a knot at the becket, feed it through the becket going forwards (towards the bow) and dead-end it with a stopper knot (like a figure 8). This allows you to two-block and sheet in really tight so you can point. You can't do that with a big knot on the becket.

Clew tie-down - Tie it tight so the grommet is right next to the boom. You won't be able to set the draft at the bottom of the sail otherwise.

Tiller extension - 32" is too short. Most people use one 48".

Hiking strap bungee - Holding it high is what you want. It keeps it out of the cockpit and allows you to hook your feet under the strap in a hurry. It just needs to have some stretch so you can hike out.

Vang - Where to begin.

You have an old-school vang, that's fine. It's usually set up to cleat at the base, and not off the boom. In fact, is there even a jam cleat on the portion you have attached to the boom?

It looks like the part at the mast is turned 90 degrees. The vang will be difficult to adjust with it twisted like that. A swivel would be good, but another D-shackle to turn it straight will help in a pinch.

You will definitely need more purchase in the vang, but adding purchase to the old-school vang probably isn't necessary for your first sail as long as it isn't too windy. Older version rigging guides can show you how to add purchase.

Torrid has good points. When using the 3-1 vang setup, the jam portion should hang off the boom, there is a simple way to "over" vang by standing up, pressing down on the boom just in front of the outhaul cleat with the back hand and taking slack out of the vang with the front hand. Once you add more purchase to the vang, switch the blocks around so the jamb portion is attached to the mast.

If the goal is to just go sailing, the only thing that needs to be changed right now is the knot at the end of the mainsheet, tie it as Torrid suggested (not sure what Knot you have tied now but it looks suspect and having the mainsheet come undo on your first sail can really ruin an otherwise good day)
If it's windy on your first sail, you are going to find that you won't be able to pull the cunningham down far enough due to your long bowline and lack of purchase is also going to be an issue. If it's not windy, it's not an issue

If you want to optimize your old school setup, in addition to what Torrid has mentioned:
Tie the bowline on the outhaul that dead-ends at the end of the boom with the smallest loop possible so you have more range in your adjustability.
If you get a longer tiller extension, cut the tiller so it ends even with the back of the cockpit (something we all did back in the 70's)
Change your cunningham setup to a simple cascade system

GREAT feedback - thanks guys!

I will certainly just tie a stopper knot for the mainsheet as suggested.

I'll also snug the clew to the mast. I checked the 3 different rigging guides specifically on that and none made reference to how snug the clew should be to the boom. - Thanks!

Also, to clarify, the comment .................."If it's windy on your first sail, you are going to find that you won't be able to pull the cunningham down far enough due to your long bowline and lack of purchase is also going to be an issue. If it's not windy, it's not an issue" .....................
Is this in reference to the bowline around the boom being too big? It makes sense that the big loop will hinder the max travel of the cunningham.

In terms of the Vang. It does indeed have a jam cleat pointing up. 49208 seems to know the setup. I will be sure to read up on changing the rigging of the vang to get more purchase.

I may use the short tiller extension for the next 2 days if I can sneak out and then buy a 48" extension.

THANKS for the great observations and feedback.

Mike

Also, to clarify, the comment .................."If it's windy on your first sail, you are going to find that you won't be able to pull the cunningham down far enough due to your long bowline and lack of purchase is also going to be an issue. If it's not windy, it's not an issue" .....................
Is this in reference to the bowline around the boom being too big? It makes sense that the big loop will hinder the max travel of the cunningham.

Yes, the large bowline will limit the travel, in windy conditions the further down you can pull the cunningham, the more you depower the sail by opening the leech. Also, to pull it down enough to depower, you'll find you need at least a 6-1 purchase if you don't have pulleys in the purchase

Well the good news is that I just came back from my maiden! Overall it went well but was pretty anti-climactic since the wind was almost non-existent. I found a couple of pockets but could not even get the boat to want to heal lol....The rigging was fine and with the low winds I had all settings the loosest possible.

As a good milestone in my project, I can now forget about epoxy mixing, hardware and rigging to focus on how to learn to be a better sailor. It was evident that light winds can be really challenging. I also picked a smaller test lake that is really close to home, but it's part of a chain of lakes and the lakes are small and narrow. The wind seemed very "confused" and kept changing. Not a big deal since it was so light.

Anyhow - many thanks!!! I am glad to get my aniexity ridden maiden out of the way and to start learning how to sail this boat.

Mike

Back