Can someone please HELP me?

InLove

Hello everyone! I am new here and I would appreciate if someone could help me with a few questions.
My boyfriend is all about Laser sailing and regattas....I don´t know a thing about it!!!!... Christmas is coming and I would love to give him a present regarding his favorite sport.
Can someone please tell me what are the official clothes and garments for Laser sailing? I would like to know what are the brands that young pro guys are using nowadays. He´s going to the Miami regatta on January and would like him to have everything needed brand new for this competition.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Hello everyone! I am new here and I would appreciate if someone could help me with a few questions.
My boyfriend is all about Laser sailing and regattas....I don´t know a thing about it!!!!... Christmas is coming and I would love to give him a present regarding his favorite sport.
Can someone please tell me what are the official clothes and garments for Laser sailing? I would like to know what are the brands that young pro guys are using nowadays. He´s going to the Miami regatta on January and would like him to have everything needed brand new for this competition.

You either have beaucoup money, or are just unaware of how much that would run you.

There's no "official" gear, but Zhik stuff seems to be hot these days, and it's great gear. If you live in the UK, Rooster is also great stuff.

Just like clothes don't make the man, they don't make the sailor. Especially in the Laser fleet at Miami.

You either have beaucoup money, or are just unaware of how much that would run you.

There's no "official" gear, but Zhik stuff seems to be hot these days, and it's great gear. If you live in the UK, Rooster is also great stuff.

Just like clothes don't make the man, they don't make the sailor. Especially in the Laser fleet at Miami.

Thanks for the advice Shatty. I loved your final quote...it´s sooo true, eventhough clothes are not important, I just want him to be happy and feel my support somehow in fulfilling his dream.
I looked into the suggestions, phew!! it´s expensive!! really nice though...I know for sure he´s worth every penny.

Thanks for the advice Shatty. I loved your final quote...it´s sooo true, eventhough clothes are not important, I just want him to be happy and feel my support somehow in fulfilling his dream.
I looked into the suggestions, phew!! it´s expensive!! really nice though...I know for sure he´s worth every penny.

why dont you look at DVD's and books to help him out. All sailors I know, regardless of how good they are, still pick something up from every book or dvd they watch

It might not be such a bad idea to ask him what it is he needs, I'm sure he'll still humor you and act surprised when he gets the new gear, but it is a lot of money to put up if it winds up being the wrong thing.

Or get him load of vouchers for one of the bigger chandlers (in the UK probably Rooster as they do some great Laser kit, in the US probably Intensity or APS).

I have asked for various sailing realted bits for Christmas, hopefully Santa will be kind (I have been good this year....)

Since you asked this question in an open forum, here is my full, humble and unabridged 2 cents.

1. If your feelings for each other are mutual, he will love whatever you get him because it came from you. Yes, do your research, ask his friends, but don't go overboard (no pun intended), and don't worry about it.

2. If you don't sail, then also give yourself a gift and learn so you both can enjoy time on the water together.

And come back if you ever need a new boyfriend (my shoe size is 10 1/2, medium shirt, 32" waist)

And come back if you ever need a new boyfriend (my shoe size is 10 1/2, medium shirt, 32" waist)

Size 13 shoe, XL shirt, 34" waist. ;)

Lol.

I agree with books and stuff maybe being a better idea. Either that, or you can just ask him if he needs anything specific for Christmas and then get him help you pick it out. Buying something wrong over the internet and having to return it is a pain, believe me.

Nice try fella but she isn't leaving me anytime soon

755084.png

I think it went pretty well. Some srs answers, then a little humour.

Girls are rare on teh internets, you know.

I have always thought that good sailing books are welcome by any person who sails.
Basic books are good, as well as Laser specific books. I have purchased many of my books on e-bay for $4 – 10 each. A bargain. The basics of sailing rarely change so even older publications are worth purchasing.

Kris

Great Idea. The NA Class should have a couple hundred books for sale somewhere. I have never seen anything about revenue from selling them in a class financial statement and I delivered a few thousand sollars worth of inventory to the Annapolis office when Ryan Minth, Tracy Usher, John Dawson Edwards and others installed the new full disclosure open books transparent management system. Check with them! There must be lots of books available!!!

Rather than "selling" you a line of sailing gear/vendor by name. Here are a just a few;
Gill, Ronstan, Magic Marine, Mysterioso, O'Neill, Body Glove, Harken, Helly-Hansen.
I would avoid generic marine suppliers gear. I find the materials cheap and stitching is lousy.

Most high tech sailing suppliers consider performance and quality valuable and you will get much use and pleasure out of top craftsmanship and materials. Some suppliers who sell by website catalogue offer a clearance link. Supplies are limited and so are sizes, colors, and styles.

These items I recommend for any level of Laser sailing:
You want to be comfortable and efficient in dinghy sailing, either racing or cruising.

- SAILING GLOVES come in whole finger length or cut tips. Get a grip!
- HIKING PANTS or shorts with battens or material reinforcement. There are suspenders, or pant or knee length. Check into surfing shops - they sell neoprene shorts. I wear them, very cool... The suspender style really works at keeping the waist line up the back instead of always yanking and adjusting; a real drag and speed killer.
- DINGHY SAILING BOOTS/footware come in various fabrics either in neoprene or synthetic rubber blends. Some either zip or tie. If your bf has always wanted to be a superhero, this is his chance.
I personally, like to think I am a superhero of a gal sailor.
- SAILING VESTS aka Personal flotation device - Look for models designed for watersports and think of his favorite color. It's important they fit at the waist and keep your man afloat.

- SHIRTS ; there are numerous various styles (and colors)and materials; lightweight neoprene and fleece are well made. Or the common but practical waffle weave tech shirt is popular in many sports. I use my shirts interchangeably in sailing and mountain biking. I like a snug fit. I like to think looking good equals sailing smooth and fast.

There at least 5 manufacturers of excellent performance sailing gear across the globe, that I can think of.

Get back to me if you need more.
JRF
Laser girls kick ass!

Rather than "selling" you a line of sailing gear/vendor by name. Here are a just a few;
Gill, Ronstan, Magic Marine, Mysterioso, O'Neill, Body Glove, Harken, Helly-Hansen.
I would avoid generic marine suppliers gear. I find the materials cheap and stitching is lousy.

I don't get it. You say you're not going to name names, then you do, leaving out some of the top dinghy gear manufacturers.

Every suggestion so far in this thread has been good.

To be honest, I don't think I'd recommend any of those companies for dinghy sailing gear.

Most high tech sailing suppliers consider performance and quality valuable and you will get much use and pleasure out of top craftsmanship and materials. Some suppliers who sell by website catalogue offer a clearance link. Supplies are limited and so are sizes, colors, and styles.

These items I recommend for any level of Laser sailing:
You want to be comfortable and efficient in dinghy sailing, either racing or cruising.

- SAILING GLOVES come in whole finger length or cut tips. Get a grip!
- HIKING PANTS or shorts with battens or material reinforcement. There are suspenders, or pant or knee length. Check into surfing shops - they sell neoprene shorts. I wear them, very cool... The suspender style really works at keeping the waist line up the back instead of always yanking and adjusting; a real drag and speed killer.
- DINGHY SAILING BOOTS/footware come in various fabrics either in neoprene or synthetic rubber blends. Some either zip or tie. If your bf has always wanted to be a superhero, this is his chance.
I personally, like to think I am a superhero of a gal sailor.
- SAILING VESTS aka Personal flotation device - Look for models designed for watersports and think of his favorite color. It's important they fit at the waist and keep your man afloat.

- SHIRTS ; there are numerous various styles (and colors)and materials; lightweight neoprene and fleece are well made. Or the common but practical waffle weave tech shirt is popular in many sports. I use my shirts interchangeably in sailing and mountain biking. I like a snug fit. I like to think looking good equals sailing smooth and fast.

There at least 5 manufacturers of excellent performance sailing gear across the globe, that I can think of.

Get back to me if you need more.
JRF
Laser girls kick ass!

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate you took the time to explain. :)

It might not be such a bad idea to ask him what it is he needs, I'm sure he'll still humor you and act surprised when he gets the new gear, but it is a lot of money to put up if it winds up being the wrong thing.
Or you could give him an APS catalog or similar, and tell him to circle whatever he thinks he might need or want. Gives you something to work from or pick from if he picks anything in your price range.

I helpfully marked up one of those for my wife, but she keeps joking that she recycled the catalog already.

Back