Can someone give PDF version of Ben AInslie book "Laser Campaign manual"?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by fordewind, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

So Mingo, you are saying that if it is not available electronically, then it is OK to make a PDF of one's own and distribute it? And it's OK to ask someone to do it for whom it is illegal?

Ainslie's book is still in print and is available through Amazon.

Yes, I recognize that other countries have their own copyright laws that may differ from ours. The U.S. does try to make treaties that address this, but I don't know the specifics with the Ukraine or with Argentina. Then there's the issue of even if it is not illegal, is it ethical to take something that may have taken years to create and is someone's livelihood?

2. Mingo

Mingo New Member

Nooo.. thats not what I am saying... not even close... english is not my mother tongue and sometimes the joke is on me...

Just wanted to state a couple of facts, no opinion. Personally, I do not accept/encourage copyright infringment.

Please note that even though when you may be allowed to reprint a book that has been out of print for 10 years, you would still have to pay the corresponding royalties to the copyright holder.

3. Merrily

Cool.

4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

No, US copyright law is not readily enforceable in Argentina or the Ukraine. However if TLF was used to convey copyrighted material, it is Bradley who would be sued.

5. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I have also made Jon aware of this thread and the fact that his book appears to be available to freely download. I don't imagine he will be impressed!

He is a good guy and someone who does a huge amount for the class here in the UK. Somehow he gets a living out of it too, more power to him I say.

As for not wanting to pay the premium why ask a friend/relative that lives abroad maybe in mainland europe to order it for you and mail it across. Or order the Paul Goodison Laser book from the RYA, I believe they ship internationally at a reasonable rate of shipping (Bens book may also be available through that method).

In the mean time please don't freeload....

6. fordewind

fordewind Member

Dear Merrily!!! I want to ask you!

You have a book (with copyright)! Youre friend from youre town or maybe youre sailing club ask you to give him this book to read!

Will you give it him or you will tell him that he must go to the shop and buy it because of copyright?

I want to emphasize that I asked to send this book to my email not to put it in the internet! And I can promise you that i will not put in the internet!

Its like to give a book youre friend to read!

7. fordewind

fordewind Member

Dear Merrily!!! I want to ask you!

You have a book (with copyright)! Youre friend from youre town or maybe youre sailing club ask you to give him this book to read!

Will you give it him or you will tell him that he must go to the shop and buy it because of copyright?

I want to emphasize that I asked to send this book to my email not to put it in the internet! And I can promise you that i will not put in the internet!

Its like to give a book youre friend to read!

8. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I would be happy to send you my copy, if I can find my copy, and if I could find a shipping method that didn't cost more then double what the book cost. I'm checking with Meest to see if they would ship it and what the cost would be.. Can you PM me your address or at least the town so I can find out more on the shipping cost.

For the rest of the posters - I'd ask that you cut Fordewind just a little slack instead of piling on. It is the holiday season after all.

If you take the time to read and really digest his other posts, you might come to the same conclusion I did that this is someone who really just wants to sail a Laser, in a country where doing so is no where as simple as it is in my country or your country.

OK, asking for the book in PDF file was wrong based on the laws in the countries where many of us are fortunate to live in, but instead of verbally whacking his hand, why don't we, as a collective group try and find a way to get him a legit copy of the book. If anyone else has some ideas, or a faster way to get the book to him then from the US, I'd be more then happy to chip in some cash via PayPal to defray the costs..

9. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

If you read my post there were some suggestions.

The issue is that international shipping does cost money but this is no excuse for copyright breach.

The writer of the book where the link was posted earlier in this thread is aware of it's exitstence, he is not happy about it (and rightly so).

As for the loaning of a boot I would happily loan out any of my sailing books and Laser books to anyone I know who asked. They generally then go an buy them for themselves!

10. Deimos

Deimos Member

A bit of a tangent but ...

Not that many people have proper e-book readers (iPhone, not good for reading proper books, notebooks and laptops also not good) so whilst I also disagree with people distributing copyright material, I suspect there will only be limited damage done to the rights holder(s). OK, any loss of income due is not acceptable, but I suspect most people who would consider buying the book might have a brief look at the illegal copy, decide it looks good and order a printed copy (so they have it in a format they can actually read). I'm talking generally here - I've no idea how good quality the scans of the particular book mentioned here are (I've more than enough printed books on tactics and Laser sailing still to read).

Maybe I am old fashioned and despite having been a software developer for many many years, I still don't get on with online documentation (though it is obligatory these days as printing out your own copy is prohibitively expensive). E-mails and short content I can manage on a screen but a book - no. I've not tried e-book readers (as the available content is too limited and Amazon have shown how disreputably they can behave over what you purchase Kindle wise).

Ian

11. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

You gots to pay to play son!

12. jonemmett

jonemmett New Member

Thank you very much for all your support. Be Your Own Sailing Coach was written on the basis of over 10 years coaching experience. It was also written at a very bad time in my life after just having major spinal surgery. So it is very special to me.

Jon

13. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

But if you can buy for a non autherntic copy of the book for significantly less, which is for all intents and purposes identical, but the owners of the copyright/license don't get their cut, that seems to be ok by some.;)

14. fordewind

fordewind Member

THANKS A LOT 49208 FOR UNDERSTANDING!

15. fordewind

fordewind Member

Sorry Jon that I put the link for this book in this forum! But its not me was putting it in internet. On the one hand I understand you! But on the other hand you must try to understand that youre book become so popular that it was put in the internet! Now ppeople all over the world can lear youre book! Can get youre teaching! YOURE BOOK BECOME LIKE BIBLE. Not every one can allow himself to see oryginal version but everyone is happy that he can see the copy!!!

16. fordewind

fordewind Member

Thanks Marilly for not answering! I can't understand you!

17. Merrily

I'm not in possession of any illegal downloads, that I know of, so it would be impossible for me to pass one on to a friend, or to a virtual stranger on the internet. Yes, I have shared hard copies of books and DVDs that I own--I loaned out the actual copies, not ones I tried to replicate in a PDF or any other form. Loaning a friend a book (which is considered fair use of copyright) is nothing like making a copy of it and sending it over the internet (which is illegal for me to do). Friends don't ask friends to break the law.

18. fordewind

fordewind Member

In copyright law there is no difference between friends and strangers and the law dont provide that someone have a right to decide who is fair user of copyrigh and who is unfair! So I can tell that you broke the law and youre conscience dont disturb you! And only the problem is in place where I live! If i lived near or went sailing in youre club you would give me a book to read without any problem and even possible that you would make a copy for me! So I estimate this like discrimination by nationality!

I want ask you to think about this!!!

19. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

Apples and oranges Alan.

20. torrid

torrid Just sailing

If she loans a book to a friend, there is still only one copy. If she wants to read the book again, she either has to get it back from her friend or go buy a new one.

However if she scans the book and e-mails it to a friend, there are now two copies floating around. If she wants to read the book, she still has her original copy. That is what is breaking the copyright law. I suppose if she were to shred the original after scanning it, it would technically be within the letter of the law. And only if her friend doesn't forward the scanned file to anybody else.

Your analogy makes no sense.