Can someone give PDF version of Ben AInslie book "Laser Campaign manual"?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by fordewind, Dec 11, 2010.

1. fordewind

fordewind Member

2. Muzza

Muzza Member

Why not buy a copy?

3. Deimos

Deimos Member

And then there are copyright considerations.

Ian

4. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

Available from $5 (with dvd) on Amazon!!!

5. fordewind

fordewind Member

Amazon dont deliver products in Ukraine, where I live. New book + delivery will cost near 50 $. And waiting about 8 weeks.

6. fordewind

fordewind Member

I find in the internet this link to the Jon Emmett book Be Youre Own Sailing Coach!

(Illegal download deleted. Sorry Jon.)

I guarantee everybody who will read this thread will download this book! And nobody will remember the copyright!!! 8)

So please give the book I asked! 8)

Thanks a lot!!!

7. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

I parked next to Jon Emmett at WPNSA this summer...nice chap...one of the few people managing to make a modest living in this buisness from his hard work, coaching and racing.
    I was able to stop myself stealing anything from the back of his van and I won't be stealing his book either. :)

8. fordewind

fordewind Member

When you read articles in the internet you also steal ideas of some people! So you must forget the internet because of youre moral and conscience!

9. fordewind

fordewind Member

4 replys about weather!!! If you dont have this book or dont want to give it or nibble conscience then DONT ANSWER!!! I'll make a thread about conscience and weather! You can post all what you want in this thread!!!

10. fat-n-old

fat-n-old Member

I enjoy reading people's ideas...Ideas that are freely given; Information that is provided with permission and appropriate acknowledgement to source. The Internet is great for that and I shall continue to enjoy its benefits, untroubled by my morals and conscience. I will, on occasion, stumble over material that is reproduced without permission and have to make a personal decision about how and if i use it.

We both know that your active request for copyrighted material is slightly different. I have no particularly high moral stance on this and I'm sure that a similarly minded person will soon furnish you with what you want, But ,please don't try to dignify your intellectual theft with arguments such as: ....everyone does it... or..... its too expensive... or ...all Internet use is stealing.

11. Muzza

Muzza Member

I can guarantee you that I will not.

Look - I'm assuming you are a smart guy. I could happily spend time discussing both the moral and legal issues around the protection of intellectual property - it is a significant part of my day job - but you've made it clear you don't want to do that.

You have provided, as your reasoning for not buying a copy, that (a) it is expensive if delivered to the Ukraine (b) it takes 8 weeks for delivery and (c) Amazon do not deliver to the Ukraine anyway.

This page seems to refute you last point and puts your second point into question - Amazon say 3 - 4 weeks for standard shipping to the Ukraine.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596194"]Amazon.com Help: Europe[/ame]

The same page suggests $4 for standard shipping to Europe - and defines the Ukraine as in the Europe shipping region. I appreciate you may have some add-on costs at the border, but your incorrect assertions about Amazon have not given your post a lot of credence.

And of course Amazon is far from the only source. You can still buy the book, new, directly from the publishers. Go to Wiley's website.

Buying secondhand is an exception to copyright law - in the U.S. we call this the First Sale Doctrine. But making a copy and distributing this while retaining the original is outside of that law.

So I suggest you find the cheapest second-hand copy you can, buy it and have it mailed to you.

The last time I checked, the high temperature in Kiev at this time of year is below freezing. You are not going sailing anytime soon.

I appreciate the difficulties of obtaining items in certain countries. I lived in a country for a few years where stuff for my boat was both difficult to get and expensive. You know what? If you'd been a little more civil in your response to our posts, one of us may even have offered to source a copy for you here, legally, and have sent it to you as a gift between Laser sailors. Sadly, you lost my goodwill through your responses.

12. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I believe I will answer. We discourage copyright violation on TLF to the point that this thread may be deleted. Consulting with Bradley now.

13. Bradley

Bradley Administrator Staff Member

As a US based website, we must adhere to the DMCA or risk lawsuits by copyright holders against us. For this reason, we cannot allow copyrighted material to be uploaded or distributed through this website.

Is the book available for sale in e-form? Possibly from Google Books, Amazon, or Apple?

14. Deimos

Deimos Member

And ... having published your e-mail address in open text on a forum that can be read by anything, I expect the web trawlers from the Spammers have already collected it, are adding it to their lists - so expect ever increasing volumes of spam. My advice (for what it is worth would b e to edit your post a.s.a.p. and delete the e-mail address.

Or if the post has been displayed too long to be edited, maybe send a nice e-mail to a moderator (e.g. Merrily) asking for e-mail/post/thread to be deleted - but remember that Merrily is also an author so might have strong opinions on copyright.

Ian

15. fordewind

fordewind Member

Dear friends this thread didnt have helpful information!!! Nobody gave ben ainslie book! From this thread we can only get information about weather in kiev!!! And about worries of different people!!! So you can delete it any time you want! Jon emmett book is really easy to get from google!!!

Bye-bye!!!
    Dont worry be happy!!!

GOD save the copyright!!! ©

16. torrid

torrid Just sailing

A friend of mine at work was recently shown the door for this very thing.

17. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

What the heck.

I'll post all Aissle's book right here .

How to do a campaign like mine.

1. Be extremely talented
    2. have friends who believe in you and will support your effort
    3. Apply yourself
    4. Thank everybody who helped get you to the top.

Now about Moby Dick by Herman Mellville.

Guy gets mad at one whale and goes after it. Fun times for everyone follow.

Ok how about The Grapes of Wrath

Family moves to California

I'll do the Bible in the Silly thread

18. Mingo

Mingo New Member

A couple of facts as an I.P. attorney who does not work in the U.S.... but in a third world country such as Argentina...

I find it amazing most of times that U.S. nationals tend to think that their laws and jurisdiction covers the entire world, and most times they seem utmost surprised to learn that in other countries, different laws may apply. I know that this is not the case, but in this thread most people quoted U.S. laws to deal with a situation that may take place in Ukraine.

Of course, I am perfectly aware that it is still illegal and personally I condemn the infringement of copyright laws -as well as trademark or patent infringement, but that is not what my post is intended to.

A couple of years ago, I bought the plans for a folding boat from a guy in the U.S. (USD 45 trhough paypal) and got the plasn by e-mail (a couple of friends asked for a copy, but I told them to go to the website). When I wrote back to the designer of the plans with a couple of questions regarding the translation of some of the terms, he wrote back surprised saying that he had never thought that the parts of the boat in different languages would have different names...

Also, I had to bought twice some books from Stuart Walker in Barnes & Noble (Advanced racing tactics, positioning and others) since the first time I asked them to be sent through regular mail and they have never arrived (probably some chap at local post office thought they were interesting books to have at his house). Since then allways bought books and had them sent through Fedex, some friend travelling to the U.S. or bought them myself during mi trips to the US (INTA or AIPLA meetings).

Finally, I have only been able to suscribe to Speed & Smarts, from David Dellenbaugh when he started with the electronic version, otherwise they would not arrive and didn´t seem smart to spend 30 USD to get a 5 USD leaflet.

I do not accept the infringement of copyrights, and if the book is available in e-form then there is no excuse.

19. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

I don't understand -- no excuse for what?

The book is not available electronically as far as I know. It appears that the creator of this thread wanted someone to scan the entire book for him and send it to him for free; and he was puzzled by our responses. He is, as we say, a piece of work. I'd hate to race against someone for whom cheating seems to be a given. It doesn't stop at copyright infringement.

20. Mingo

Mingo New Member

sorry...

"is no excuse for the infringement."

In our country, and according to the chapter 6th of our copyrigth act, if 10 years has passed without the book being printed or available in the country, the copyright holder will not be able to oppose the printing of the same by third parties. If they do not reach an agreement in relation to the royalties due, same will be fixed by a Judge or an arbiter.

I am not aware of the Ukranian laws, but many countries has dispositions like that in their copyrights acts (something similar happens with patents but with much shorter terms) and I would not be surprised if they have something like that in eastern europe.

Bye.