Camera holder for Laser

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by SailFast13, Mar 6, 2010.

1. SailFast13

SailFast13 New Member

Hey,

I want to build a 'mount/ holder' so that I can attach my camera to the back of my laser (like you see in those sailing DVD's).

Does anyone have any ideas or plans of how I can do this?

I have a FLIP Ultra HD camera in the FLIP waterproof case...

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. pez

pez Member

I'm sure you could engineer something quite easily with a standard tripod mount attached to the lid of an inspection port (think bottleport)... this would probabaly be easier to mount to the fore, looking aft as you would not have the tiller range to deal with.

Maybe for the latter you can modify a drain plug with some sort of armature ending in a tripod mount.

3. TBAROGER

TBAROGER New Member

4. staterocks96

staterocks96 New Member

i have no idea what to do to mount it but it is a sweet idea. i may do it and fix mistakes by watching the tape

5. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

Here are some recent footage from my new GoPro HeroWide bow mounted camera...

I'm looking for a good solution for a simple transom mount too for my GoPro. Maybe something that clamps onto the lip overhang off to one side of the rudder? A safety line would be a must because a gybe could take the whole thing out.

[​IMG]

I bought my camera from Adam (laser sailor himself) at http://iceplanter.com/ for $139 about a month ago. Great service! bought the extra mount kit too for $18 so I could leave the mount setup on the bow. I also upgrade to a 4gb SD card for about 2 hours of continuous shooting. good fun! I can't see NOT sailing with this thing attached when I'm laser sailing now. :cool:

6. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

Bow Mount..
    [​IMG]

7. staterocks96

staterocks96 New Member

i actually just bough a flip and if you go to the website you can buy a tripod. i bought the tri pod and im thinking about to put it up near the bow and use wire to hold the legs together. you wont understand unless u check out website

8. harpo

harpo Member

I've been considering one of those. Which mounting system did you use? Your photo has it all wrapped in tape so it's a little hard to tell. :)

9. staterocks96

staterocks96 New Member

I got my flip today and actually i just put elastic around my mast holding my flip and i tied a rope onto the wrist strap just in case. when i went out i capsized 2 times to make sure it would work and yes it did :)

10. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

I used a GoPro mount that looks like a crescent "C" shape to raise it up off the deck a bit. This mount came in the "extra" bag of mounts sold separately. The glob of electrical tape is to keep the camera tightly secured to the bow eye and to avoid any shaking during filming. I may of wrapped it more then I needed. Most important.. I'm extra careful to avoid another boat dragging their mainsheets across my bow and launching my new toy into the deep blue. There a thin safety that would maybe save it in that event. :D

11. mackconsult

mackconsult Member

I am a mechanical engineer with a seat of solidworks. If I design up a camera mount that would work on the back of the boat would any body be interested?

I would design it with the following in mind:

1. Need to be able to attach to the boat with out any boat modifications.
    2. Need to be implemented so that the main sheet would not catch on it.
    3. Need to be up high enough to give good view of the deck, running rigging, and hiker.
    I would model up a prototype and post it to the forum. If there are enough interested people I would get quotes for having components manufactured.

12. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Sign me up.

13. SailFast13

SailFast13 New Member

Hey, I was able to upload two videos with my new rig which I made using some of your ideas... Thanks a lot for the help!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjedZSzwg&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjedZSzwg&feature=channel[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd59lznGsLY&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd59lznGsLY&feature=channel[/ame]

14. Sail4SC

Sail4SC Member

15. staterocks96

staterocks96 New Member

i was wondering how you ended up rigging it?

16. laserxd

laserxd Member

Nice job on the camera angle, filming yourself is a great way to improve, I'd suggest some anti fog spray on the waterproof case so you don't get blurry patches.

I also noticed that your vang line was dragging on the water in the top video, its legal to tie the tail to the clip on your main block or daggerboard, I like to tie a bowline around the main block clip, it makes the vang much easier to reach, flip it to the other side before tacking so you can adjust it if needed, it really helps in heavy air when you need to crank on the vang, it seems to get tangled less as well.

17. SailFast13

SailFast13 New Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I think I will try tieing the vang onto the block the next time I go out, and I agree I do need some anti fog... Thanks!!!

18. Sean

Sean Member

Here is a stern mounted frame that I built from alloy. It is tough and easy to fit and remove. I I have used it in heavy winds and big waves with no problems.

I would use it with a Sanyo Xacti that could film for around 1 hour before the battery would lose power. 500-600 mp4 file each session from memory.

View of frame fitted.

[​IMG]

What you can see from camera height approximately.

[​IMG]

Attachment point.

[​IMG]

Retaining shockcord and support leg.

[​IMG]

View of camera mount area and my sophisticated mounting for camera. Different mounting ideas were tried but this was simplest and toughest, camera stayed where it was pointed and importantly remained attached.

[​IMG]

Frame idea from an 18 skiff that had a camera extension fitted to back I saw long time ago when the Grand Prix 18 series was around in Aus.

All the mounting point and construction ideas mine.

19. mackconsult

mackconsult Member

Wow that is pretty cool. I think I will design up something similar, and use carbon tubes to construct it.

20. Matt B

Matt B Member

in the dvd's they all use a little camera called a dog cam pro and they come with mounting brackets