C-Vane disapointing

laser47

I recently bought a C-Vane wind indicator for my laser to try it out because poeple had been raving about how good they were. Imagine my disapointment when, last week - after 3 weeks racing in light airs - the blade was brushed against by my painter and snapped! :mad: What really annoys me is it cost me the same as 4 Hawk2's and didn't last half as long :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm a c-vane dealer, and have free replacements, for the US. I'd just ask your dealer in the UK. If they don't have spares, let me know, and we'll figure something out.

BTW, I've seen two broken ones in a year, including my own, which got smashed in the blade bag.

Al Russell

I think Ryan was looking to address the problem by making a new blade out of a different 'softer?' plastic. He's been very good about all this though, just ask your dealer for help :)

laser47 said:
I recently bought a C-Vane wind indicator for my laser to try it out because poeple had been raving about how good they were. Imagine my disapointment when, last week - after 3 weeks racing in light airs - the blade was brushed against by my painter and snapped! :mad: What really annoys me is it cost me the same as 4 Hawk2's and didn't last half as long :mad:

Has anyone else had this problem?

They have a way of wandering off when they get tired.

Once after sailing three regattas in a row,.....

My wind indicator was dialed in by my operator, leveled by my carpenter, wrenched against by my plumber, wired by my electrician, strummed by a guitar player, hosed by the fire department, torqued by a mechanic, chipped by a computer guy, spent by a shopper, and finally when it was overtaxed by my politician it went nuts too.

Why do sailors spend so much money on expensive vanes if you can make one yourself. All you need is a tell tale and a piece if wire that you bend in the right shape and tape to the mast. It costs nothing, works fine and never breaks!
Georg

Excellent idea (above)I will be using that idea this weekend. I asked at our sailing club and apparantly there are no wind indicators to be had in Thailand - everyone orders off the 'net.

Back