Buying your first sailboat...

mark Rocco

I look at sail boats for sale every day go back and fourth do I buy a small one or do I get the boat I will eventually want to have...I would like to end up with a 30 ft were I have the option to live aboard...I rather not get into trailing then I would have to buy the right size truck then come more insurance, maintenance, buying the truck and not to mention putting the boat on and off ect ect...I know in a few years I will be moving to the gulf coast of Florida...I think a 30 sail boat will handle that area fine...I just feel once you buy a boat your not going to sell when you want.... there are so many boats that I see every day....some one once told me money don't grow on trees boats do....so ladies and gentlemen please some input here thank you all
mark rocco

Hi Mark,
You will get so many different opinions on this question, so take it all with a grain of salt. :) I would definitely think about your long term plans. If it is living aboard that you plan on doing than I would look at something that would allow you to do that. And in that case, then buying in Florida may be easier, since it sounds like perhaps learning to sail is also part of the equation. If you know it's going to be years before making the transition than buying a boat you can enjoy now may be a great option. If you are looking daily, you'll probably get a good feel what a good deal is and know when you've found the one.

Just take your time, when you think you've found something invest in a good surveyor and make sure that you're getting a good sound boat. :) And be careful. You may get hooked! We kept a blog of our journey getting our boat in North Carolina if you would like to check it out. www.mountainandseashore.blogspot.com.

Kind regards,

Camile
s/v Obsession
St. John, USVI

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 27
Thank you Camile.....i think that I'm leaning towards buying the boat that i will live on...i look at boats every day some have been there for over a year.....i think selling a boat is much harder than buying....I'm looking at the 30ft Cape Dory and Catalina what is your opinion on those...than you for your input and you have a very lovely sail boat thank you again mark

Back