Buying A Sail

audreyb

I am new to sailing, bought a used Sunfish that needs a new sail. I have a few questions.
1. Will any sail fit any age sunfish?
2. Any suggestions on where to buy a sail?
3. What should I be looking for when buying a sail?
4. Does this one look good? Sunfish Sailboat Sail Coral | eBay

That is great you have bought a Sunfish. They are great, great boats. Here are my answers:
1) Yes
2) There are a lot of aftermarket sail sellers. Personally, based on what I have seen, I would only buy: a) an authentic Sunfish sail, b) one from Intensitysails.com, or one from APS (which is one of the sponsors of this forum.) Those sails are well-made, have a good shape to them, and seem to hold up. However, the aps sails Sunfish® Sail- Recreational - NOT CLASS LEGAL are almost as expensive as the authentic Sunfish sail, so probably not the best choice. The Sunfish manufacturer has good prices now on some colors Sails & Spars - Sunfish - LaserPerformance Others here will have experience with other brands. The sail I saw from Kevane looked like it was made on a home sewing machine, but others here may feel differently.
3) Good reputation is about it
4) Seems risky. I have not seen any of these in real life, the window is in the wrong location, and you can get a better price from APS. I would not spend that kind of money on a fly by night manufacturer shipping from China. If anything is wrong with the sail, good luck getting it taken care of!

Let us know if there are any mroe questions. Folks here love to provide input!!!

I have had sails made by Kevane, Intensity, APS, North, Neil Pryde and a sail sold on eBay from Flyingdragon. For good shape I would stick with the Intensity which has a race sail cut or Neil Pryde. Kevane was fairly flat with no luff or foot curvature. APS was okay but more money then Neil Pryde or Intensity. $ for $ you can't beat the Intensity price. But limited in color choices. I don't like the standard Neil Pryde window which has stripes in the vinyl window. But they have a lot of color choices. The Flyingdragon sails are also race shaped and usually about $155 plus shipping on eBay. He makes only a few sails so you will have to keep an eye out for his eBay ads.

I have a bunch of Neil Pryde sails that I had them install a clear vinyl window in. I also have several of the Flyingdragon sails available. I have these as I restore old Sunfish and sell them with the new sails. If you are interested I have many color choices. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

I am new to sailing, bought a used Sunfish that needs a new sail. I have a few questions.
1. Will any sail fit any age sunfish?
2. Any suggestions on where to buy a sail?
3. What should I be looking for when buying a sail?
4. Does this one look good? Sunfish Sailboat Sail Coral | eBay

Just for the record, did anyone look at the roach of this sail?
s-l300.jpg

:eek:

Back