Broken Fiberglass by my Main Sheet Block

Max Curry

MVWsM

Hi everyone, I am just wondering how I might go about fixing something like this crack? I'm a little afraid that I will have to cut out the piece and replace it. Is there any other idea someone has?

Thanks!
Max

That's simply a fiberglass reinforcement repair under the cockpit lip, not a cut out job.
Look under the lip and see where the person who installed the block screwed-up. My guess
is there are no washers or mounting plate to spread out the load. If they just used sheet metal
screws and the crack is over the tub flange things are going to be a bit harder. Posting a picture of the underside of the cockpit lip would help.

Here's something to consider, you can reinforce with fiberglass and fill with Marine-Tex but the
underlying fibreglass is damaged. If you put a inspection port in the forward wall of
the tub you can move the block forward to a undamaged part of the deck. You'll also
have the option of putting in a large size backing plate.

Last edited:
The blocks are being shock loaded, it's the sheet snapping against
a locked ratchet or knot in the end of the sheet. I use a cheap Pad-eye
and non-locking pulley.

The blocks are being shock loaded, it's the sheet snapping against
a locked ratchet or knot in the end of the sheet. I use a cheap Pad-eye
and non-locking pulley.
I don't think that is it. I've seen one broken area like this after MANY years of Sunfish sailing. Most likely the screws loosened, something fell on it, or there was insufficient backing. I cannot see the picture so that does not help. Ratchet blocks and blocks with integral cleats are no problem if properly mounted.

Should have bedded it in 3M 5200. That would have held it
down even with loose screws. Still thinking forward of the
tub would be a structurally better location.

Back