Bought a Laser Bahia!

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by Merrily, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

My husband and I drove over to the sailboat show at Annapolis to buy him a Vago, and ended up buying a Bahia instead from the good folks at APS. The Vago, which looks like a blast, was a little (or maybe a lot) more boat than we felt we could handle. The Bahia is a stable boat that can seat up to 5 people. The boom is quite high on it, which is an issue for my husband. His knees don't want to bend like they used to. 300 sq ft of sail area with the spinnaker, main, and jib. It should be a good time. I'm shopping for a trapeze harness for it tomorrow at APS. Woo hoo! :D So I've got to keep on my husband's good side so he'll let me sail with him. :rolleyes:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d15000/e12615.asp

2. Merrily

Today John and I are driving to APS's storefront to load up our new boat. We brought my Laser trailer along to trail the boat home. The plan is to load the Bahia onto the trailer while on its dolly. Yes, the Bahia, a plastic rotomoded hull, is even more sensitive than the Laser as to its method of transport. It MUST be suspended under the gunwales, especially on a hot day like today. John brought tools to modify the trailer as needed. So wish us luck, and we expect to get home this evening. :)

3. kai

kai New Member

good luck. let me know how it sails.

4. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

I was at the boat show this weekend and got to take the Bahia for a spin with the folks from Vanguard. Looks like fun and surely a versatile boat Merrily.

5. Ross B

Ross B Guest

how is it?

6. Merrily

George, you sailed our boat before we got to! We bought the boat that was demoed at Severn. We're getting most of the options--storage chest, trapeze wires, oarlocks and oars. We'll wait and see about the motor mount and acquiring a motor. We won't need that on our little reservoir, but if we travel with it, we might.

We safely trailed it home. The guys at APS helped us reconfigure our trailer and load and strap down the boat. I was gofer at the beginning of the process. I even held the end of a measuring tape once. Then I went shopping in the chock full APS store. My best moment was noticing that our tool bag was still on the ground just as we were about to drive away. Did I mention I went shopping?!

We're going to have rigging guide in hand this morning while looking over the boat. We have other stuff to do this afternoon, so it's not likely we'll get it in the water today. :(

7. WestCoast

WestCoast New Member

No kidding! I was only on your boat for a brief time, but the gennaker/spinnaker system is just like the 29er/49er set up and the boat is very roomy and comfortable.

I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

8. Merrily

We got the Bahia on the water for the first time today. The wind was only 5 to 10, and we decided to skip the spinnaker for the first outing. The boat was comfortable and fun, just what John was looking for. We plan to sail it again tomorrow, this time with the spinnaker. We're going to rig it for our club's second race on Sunday, which is a handicap race. I'll sail my Laser in the first race, then crew for John in the second.

The guys at APS are sailing the other Bahia that they had today and they have 20 to 25 knots. Can't wait to hear about that.

9. lunchcut

lunchcut New Member

Hi, I was wondering how you are enjoying the new Bahia. I am considering purchasing one. I plan to sail it on our lake. My family currently sails on a Big Fish and a Sunfish. I would like something faster and more exciting that can also be taken out for an enjoyable day sail with a friend or two.

Is your husband happy he picked the Bahia over the Vago? Would he make the same choice again?

Finally the laser website indicates the hull weight for the Bahia is 286 lbs / 155kg. 155 kg actually converts to 342 lbs. This seems like a big mistake. Could you venture a guess as to what the hull weight actually is?

10. Merrily

We haven't had the Bahia out yet this spring because hubby doens't have a wetsuit, so can't answer your questions. That is the first I've seen of the weight discrepancy, so I'll have to get back to you on that, too.

11. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Hi Merrily,

Im a newbie to the forum and since my wife looked quite askance at the idea of a tandem (just kidding), I thought it might be about time to get back in to sailing.

As a kid I learned to sail in a leaky aluminium canoe with a home-made outrigger and a sail made from a bedsheet. That was on Southampton Water. Time passed and my best school friend's father bought a Merlin Rocket - oh joy.

Some time later my wife and I lived in Vancouver and I kept a Sunfish on False Creek. What fabulous sailing days they were!

Several years on and now with a family of our own, we moved to Montreal and we bought a Topper. Then for the last 20 or so years, nothing. Zip. Until last month when we had a holiday in Jamaica (Shaw Park Beach Resort) where I became re-acquainted with the dear old Sunfish. After so long, I had forgotten what enormous fun it is to sail a dinghy which brings me to here and now.

I won't bore you with my criteria, but a boat that can be single handed, carry 5 adults if needed (and we now have grandchildren), motored, rowed, trapezed (is that a word?), the Bahia seems - at least on paper - to have it all. But scour the internet as I have, I have yet to find a sail test report so what gives? Does the great idea on paper just fail to translate in to an exciting ride? Nobody seems enthused. Where are all the owners. There must be more than just you Merrily. And even you have yet to be heard from with the "exciting ride" report!:rolleyes:

So would you please buy your husband that wet suit and put him to work! Laser sales of Bahais may just depend upon it!:D:D

And if not a Bahia, then what suggestions for Ontario lake sailing (not necessarily on Lake Ontario). The Flying Scot looks a little long in the tooth but it may be a possibility - any suggestions, or a positive tip in the Bahia direction would be most appreciated. I am ready to sail again, so the big question is IN WHAT???

12. Merrily

I tried to get him to go out today. The water is about 60 degrees F or 16 C, which is tolerable even with just polyester fleece. He was too busy. :(( I'll tell him that internet contacts are waiting for him.

13. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Hmmm - I doubt I would go without a wetsuit in to 16C water:eek:,so perhaps we should be kind and not blame his reluctance on sloth.

But of course we still would like to have that sailing report! Last Fall, you mentioned that you were about to go in to a club event, and also that the "guys from APS" were also planning to go out in 20-25 knots. That should be plenty to get the juices flowing!!:) Did either of those things happen? If so, can we hear about it please?

Has Mister Laser built us an uterly brilliant all-rounder as they claim, or is there still work to be done to get this one up to scratch?

14. WPB Sailor

WPB Sailor New Member

Has Mister Laser built us an uterly brilliant all-rounder as they claim, or is there still work to be done to get this one up to scratch?

The boats a bit of a beast - tries to do to many things and ends up doing neither particularly well IMHO. Better options out there but it's an OK daysailor if thats what you want...

15. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Thank you for your honesty - any owners out there who want to defend? Is WPB perhaps too harsh?

Door is closing but not yet closed. Yes I want a daysailer, but if it is boring it will never get used so that would be a big mistake. I love lee rail under and me hanging out :)), and a favourite was downwind in Sunfish with the nose (and the rest of the hull) 6" under the waves. Never laughed so much in my life. Perhaps it is bluewater that makes the difference?

16. khuie

khuie New Member

It's a blast in over 15 knots, has a couple of planing speeds. We were going 11 knots downwind, in about 25 knots.
    in 7-12 it seems ok, and at least it moves in lighter winds. The line for dousing and hoisting the gennaker is small, you'll need gloves.

Karen who sails at the Cal Sailing Club

17. Trillium

Trillium New Member

18. Trillium

Trillium New Member

Almost forgot, does anybody have experience with the Bahia "box"? It seems like it will be useful in day sailer mode for picnic stuff, cooler etc. But can the boat still be worked in a blow? Also, does the box stay with the boat in a capsize? (Not that I ever would of course) :D:D:D

19. captainJack987

captainJack987 New Member

I've gone sailing in 15-20 winds, without a wetsuit in 50 degree water, not fun. But with a wetsuit it's awsome with a bigger boat then a laser it might be hard righting it if it capsized but don't let cold water keep you from sailing. But a wetsuit is a VERRY good thing to invest in.

20. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Did you consider the Wayfarer? Given all those at your club, I would go with that one. But then again, I enjoy racing one-design.
    You can probably pick up a second-hand Wayfarer for a whole lot less than a (new) Bahia.