Boom Position and Sail Shape

donnie

I purchased a 1984 Capri 14.2 about six weeks ago. The boat has been well kept and has had a lot of T.L.C. both from the previous owner and myself. I think I have everything set up well except for one thing that I could use some advice with.

In order to achieve what I believe is proper sail shape on the main, I had to lower the boom. But I can't put the boom at a right angle to the mast because the leech becomes too tight. So to maintain proper sail shape, the boom is considerably higher in the rear. Is this normal or is the luff of my sail stretched?

I can't afford a new sail but this is what I have been considering and I need some input: I was thinking that I could raise the boom too a height that would allow me to level it without over tightening the leech and installing a cunningham to take the slack out of the luff.

Is this wise? Or should I sail it the way it is?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Are you at full host on the main? You should have the main all the way to the sheeve at the top of the mast. Then depending on the wind strength pull on a little cunningham and a little vang. Don't close the leech as the boat will be slow. What kind of sail is your main? What is your traveller height set at? Mine is set at 31" with a mast rake of 22'. I use Quantum sails and when I race the boat has good height and speed up wind.

It doesn't sound like a big deal. If you're daysailing an the boat is going fine , just sail it the way it is. If you're racing in one design, if you're as fast as the other boats, things are good. Your set up sounds ok to me.

rjsailnsd said:
Are you at full host on the main? You should have the main all the way to the sheeve at the top of the mast. Then depending on the wind strength pull on a little cunningham and a little vang. Don't close the leech as the boat will be slow. What kind of sail is your main? What is your traveller height set at? Mine is set at 31" with a mast rake of 22'. I use Quantum sails and when I race the boat has good height and speed up wind.

I am using the original main and jib. I don't know how to measure the traveler hieght. It is maybe 5 or 6 inches above the top of the transom. It seems too low to me but I didn't think that it was critical. when you say 31", is that from the top or bottom of the transom. As for the mast rake. I don't know how to measure that either, but it is a few degrees foreward of perpendicular to the waterline. It looks like it is too far forward but the only way I can get it back anymore is to install a longer forestay, it is as far back as it will go.

I don't have a cunningham, but I was considering installing one. I haven't figured out how to rig it. I have a new style boomkicker which attaches to the mast just below the gooseneck and just above the boom vang. I was thinking of attaching a cunningham at one of these points. Do you have any suggestions or a picture of yours?

Measure your travelor height from the top of the transom. It sounds like yours is waaaay too low. Also, your mast is raked forward instead of back so you need to lengthen your forestay until you get 22'2" from the top of the mast to the top of the transom.

You measure that by attaching a measuring tape to your main halyard and then raise it to the top. pull the tape back to your transom and see what you get...then adjust accordingly.

When you get that traveler height right the boat will go much better. Depending on the type of sails I use and the conditions, my traveler is set between 28" to 34". This is measured from the top of the transome to the turning block on the boom. Also make sure to tie the block on the traveler so it does not travel, but stays centered on the traveler. Mast rake between 21'10" to 22'2" will work depending on who made the sails. The rig will be super loose but fast and heigh..First set your forestay at its maximum class lenght of 15'3.25" (i think) and then set the shroud adjuster plates accordingly to get the desired mast rake.

Back