Boom angle

c14_Jim

Sailing on Shelter Bay
I have experimented with the angle of the boom and never been satisfied that I found the answer. In a gentle breeze (7 to 10 knots) what do you find the best boom angle for speed when close hauled? By boom angle I mean the angle between the center-line of the boat and the boom. I usually start with the aft end of the boom over the rear corner where the transom meets the side of the boat. ( I think that is about 12 degrees, by the way). Where would you consider the best place for the boom?

Knot thing

Yep. I do and i agree it helps a lot. By pulling from (or toward) more center of the boat it allows the boom to rise a bit and puts "twist" in the sail which helps in light wind conditions.

I use the knot in the main traveler like Jim suggests.

Placement of the boom has a lot of do with wind and heading. What I do, let the main out and you will see a bubble form in the main sail behind the mast. Let it out further and it will luff. Let the main out, see the bubble then bring it back in until it smooths out. In heavy air I will sometimes sail with the bubble behind the mast, keeps from getting over powered but not enough to luff or needing to reef the main.

A mistake I see often, is that the boom is pulled in too tight causing the boat to stall and lose speed. It's easy to do, I've done it plenty.

Another suggestion, play with the tension of your boomvang. Light air tighten it up, heavy air loosen it up and you can spill air out the top of the main, again to keep from overpowering.

-Robert
1989 Capri 14.2
1984 Catalina 22

Back