Bonito Sailboat Query

Discussion in 'Sailing Talk' started by Monroe Street Yacht Club, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Waterbaby

Waterbaby New Member

I'm trying to rig a Bonito, and couldn't tell from the pics if I had it right. Also, do you need to tie the boom to the mast ? Or is that loop towArds the front of the boom for a vang? Again, the picture posted was not clear. Thanks for the help. The boat was donated to the Girl Scout camp where I am helping with sailing, and it would be very useful as it holds more people than the sunfish.

2. JohnnyO

JohnnyO New Member

It sounds like your mast and boom may be diffrent then mine? Post up a photo of your boom with the ends attached.

3. Baitey

Baitey New Member

I've been looking for a little information on the Bonito. My centerboard is missing. Do I need marine plywood for a replacement? Also I am looking for a length dimension, top to bottom. This sailboat has been in family for over 40 years and not used for the last 25 years.
    It's about time!
    Thanks for any information.

4. fhhuber

fhhuber Member

Can't help on dimensions to match OEM.

You can treat outdoor rated plywood for it to last as long as marine rated
    Plywood treatment formula (appx post 5)
    but either will not last as well as a good mahogany solid wood daggerboard.

All glues used if making a "solid" wood daggerboard need to be good for extended immersion in water. Epoxy is generally recommended. Finding a single slab of Mahogany that won't need glue would be difficult without getting enough to make 3 or 4.

Or you can measure the slot and compare with a Sunfish... there are nice daggerboards easily available for those. The slot measurements would need to be REALLY close to the same.

5. Baitey

Baitey New Member

Thank-You very much for the information. It's a good start, the sailboat will not get much use as it is a summer toy only. I will go with plywood, sealed as recommended and give it a whirl!