Boat Names

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by crazysailor, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Skipper Johnson

Skipper Johnson New Member

When I told my wife that I had just spent $2,500 on a boat, she was (to put it nicely) a little miffed. Of course, I was one step ahead. When she saw the boat with the name Suzie Lou (her name Suzanne Loiuse) the state of being miffed was somewhat reduced.

Moral, you can buy a boat and still not be in the doghouse as no woman can resist having a boat named after her.

2. BillyT

BillyT New Member

My first Laser - hull#4237 was named "Blow Me"....some 10 years later my next laser Was "Blow Me II"

3. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

"Other Way Up"

or, whatever name you choose, make sure you write it on the bottom of the hull, so everyone can see it :p

4. GlugGlug

GlugGlug New Member

5. 144679

144679 New Member

my lasers called " Bouy Racer"

6. Chris123

Chris123 New Member

OK, I'll be the dumb guy who says "I don't get it." - some sort of wordplay on "buoy racer" I assume... maybe it's one of those Brit/USA things that gets lost in translation?

7. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Not really. From what I recall, Jon is a teenager. So he is a "boy racer."

8. LakeSailor168600

LakeSailor168600 New Member

Mines Beowulf, because i'd just finished reading it
    Its one of the green boats, with a gold decal on either side
    My friends boats Lucifers Hammer
    Just come up with a name you think is cool
    Use popular liturature or make a joke
    Thats my 2 cence

9. fishingmickey

fishingmickey Member

Mine is Skulduggery!
    skull·dug·ger·y or skul·dug·ger·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (skl-dg-r)
    n. pl. skull·dug·ger·ies
    Crafty deception or trickery or an instance of it.
    Regards,
    Fishingmickey
    150087/181157

10. radial181241

radial181241 New Member

Burritos revenge, or space monkey mafia

11. Merrily

Some of our old club Lasers are named after former commodores, so we have Rob, Newt, and Herb. And unrelated to that, there's also an ugly grungy yellow one named Plaque.

12. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

^^^lol @ plaque! We haven't named all our uni sailing club boats yet - only one of the lasers has a name so far, and because it is green and a heap of junk it is generally known as 'Snotty'. When racing it people are usually kinder and put the name 'Cactus' on the forms though.

13. Merrily

How about Kermit, as in, it's not easy being green?

14. Laser76489

Laser76489 Member

I should shop for a green Laser after all I already have a Sweetums, a Miss Piggy and a Big Bird

Great idea I like it!!!!

15. lvrpool52

lvrpool52 New Member

Here's a bunch I've been associated with over the years.

Our pre-teen children called 16950 Sprout because she was green, and 19913 which was red they called Moonraker. As the red boat aged friends called her the old tomato.

My two favorite Mobjacks were Gopher Baroque, grey and Chicken Ship, yellow both owned by good friends.

The Flying Scot two generous friends let me use has Turtle on the transom with the letters inverted.

On a related theme I read some two years ago that when the Cunard Company were building a new liner in the early '30's their Board Chairman told King George V that they planned to name her after Englands best known Queen, and KGV replied Mary will be pleased. That meant the Queen Elizabeth was the second of the family, followed by QEII and later by Queen Mary II.

David 128170

16. coolsailer

coolsailer New Member

call it ' Passing Wind' witty, but not perverted. Props to the guy that thought of blow me as a name.

17. laser47

laser47 New Member

my boat at the moment is called "Salome Nevara" after the biblical temptress who had her lover cut of john the batists head and serve it to her on a silver platter and the "nevara" bit is laser in elvish, my last boat was "Serkel Nevara" with Serkel being both elvish for blood star (the boat was red) and an elvish swearword (unintentional)

my friends sail "the mean green machene" "hydra" "haka" and "jetstream"

18. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

"OK, I'll be the dumb guy who says "I don't get it." - some sort of wordplay on "buoy racer" I assume... maybe it's one of those Brit/USA things that gets lost in translation?"

The brits pronounce it correctly as "boy racer", and the pun makes sense. However the yanks pronouce it boo-ee, so it doesn't work so well. As a Brit living in Michigan, it's not the only thing they can't pronouce...:)

And what's a vang anyway (Kicking Strap back home).

19. laser47

laser47 New Member

in reference to the laser most people over here that i speak to seem to use "vang" now because thats what the new control lines are called in the price lists

20. Sail_Aventura

Sail_Aventura New Member

I don't have a name on my laser but my IOR one tonner is named "Obsessive Behavior". Which could be fitting for many of us "blow boaters" as one of my stink pot friends calls us.