Boat Names

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by crazysailor, Jun 1, 2006.

1. crazysailor

crazysailor New Member

I know not every one names there boats, most just use there sail#. I just got a 1988 laser and i really want to name it, but i have absolutely no ideas, and i could really use some help. so if you have any ideas just submit them.:D

2. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

How's???

I Can't Think of a Name For This Thing

3. slalomskier

slalomskier New Member

As my grandpa's laser was painted red, and named Ketchup on the stern.

If you dont get the joke in that, you had better be winning all the races!

4. jamesfreedman

jamesfreedman New Member

My boat is named "miss demeanor". Named after the exwife and her drunken antics. Also my dad always names his boats "miss conduct". A J22 and formerly a J24.

5. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Wynn.

6. 167542

167542 New Member

l'eau rider

eau is french for water by the way

7. 157800

157800 Member

whatever you do don't name it something like "poseidan" or something like that. I am a little supersticious but don't name it poseidan etc...

8. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Hi,
    in my country it is common, to give a boat a name. This comes from the tradition of seamanship here. And as good grown up sailors, we celebate this tradition here, wether she is an Optimist-Dinghy or a Maxi-Yacht, no matter.
    At the Laserclass here in GER a lot of boats do have an own name, only the boats of the pros and some of the clubs do not have.
    About 4 weeks ago, at a christening ceremony at our club, my actual Laser 171442 got the name "Manatee". I did chose the name, because the hull of this Laser is not a beauty and already has some scratches and the gelcoat, that has the colour "Vela Grey". Unfortunately, the owner of this Laser (me) is not at the lower side of the weight Laserites normally do have, but at the very upper limit... So, I'm afraid, we, this Laser 171442 and me, are not made to be perfect for a good photo at the front side of a sailing magazine... But, this boat and me in future definitely do swim some inches under the surface of the water I'm afraid, because this boat will teach me to sail the Laser good in winds >5 Bft. ... :)
    Manatees most times only eat and sleep and do hang around in the water, what the Looserlu, as a recreational Laserite, also do like most. Also, the boat and the owner like mankind and (most times) are friendly to others. All aspects together: there are a lot of characteristics that this animal "Manatee" also has and brought me to the decision to take that name for the Laser 171442 :)
    Some time in the past, I have seen a nice TV-report about this friendly Manatees and also learnt, that they are under high protection of the World Wild Life Foundation WWF. Not few of this friendly animals are killed by the propellers of motorboats - I hope, my new boat and me, do not have the same "Karma" in the future ;)

Ciao
    LooserLu

Attached Files:

9. Laser76489

Laser76489 Member

My son got an old Laser 1488 it had the name Sweetums painted on the sides. This is a character from the Muppet show popular in the 70's. Sweetums was a large furry gentle monster. My laser has a repair to the mast step and is heavy, it instantly became Miss Piggy. Later we aquired a Yellow Laser nicknamed "Big Bird"

PS I find it disturbing that your grandfather had a Laser only because it makes me OLD

10. Mark P

Mark P New Member

The Grand Poobah

11. slalomskier

slalomskier New Member

i tried to contact vanguard to resurve hull number 199,999 so that i could name my boat "almost there"

12. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

'No use for a name' is always an option :D

My boat is called 'Laser on Steroids' as it is a laser 2.

13. TimClark

TimClark New Member

what'd they say to you?

14. crazyuncle

crazyuncle New Member

My boat was one of the purple boats produced in the nineties and as I'm a huge Jimi Hendrix fan there was no other choice: Purple Haze.
    And on the transom I've got 'scuse me, while I kiss the sky'

15. Braecrest

Braecrest Member

Braecrest, it's scottish gaelic for white cap, or breaking wave, good name for a laser I thought. my other is called Swagger, after my favorite song by Flogging Molly, scot-irish punk rock band.

16. Ninie

Ninie New Member

I've named mine "Stumbles" for our tendancy to capsize early on our partnership... While "Stumbles" has since calm down... The name stuck..

Ninie

17. slalomskier

slalomskier New Member

You cannot reserve hull numbers from vanguard. You cannot purchase boats from vanguard. The dealer does not know the hullnumber untill it comes. And i am sure that they will give hull 200,000 to someone of great importance. I tried though :rolleyes:

18. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

200,000 must be about five years in the future, I reckon. BTW, does anybody know how the four manufacturers split up the numbers?

19. sorosz

sorosz Member

Well, my wife named hers "Flipper!" and it wasn't just because she likes dolphins!

20. slalomskier

slalomskier New Member

who are the other three manufacteurers? where are they located?