Boat leaking

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by flaserlover, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Rob Hair

Rob Hair Member

And you can get a leak into the hull at the cockpit drain if the adhesive stuff that holds the cockpit to the hull (inside the hull) comes loose. The hull then can move relative to the cockpit, making any sealant placed there ineffective. If you have taken the brass fitting apart you should be able to check for leaks in that area. There are threads devoted to how to fix this. You generally need to install access ports in the back of the cockpit. I'd hope for a leak that's easier to repair, like the missing 0-ring shown above!

2. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

Would any leaks there be visible or would it be something a bit harder to see. I did take a good look around and i didn't notice anything but i could have missed it.

3. Rob Hair

Rob Hair Member

I would expect that your bubble test would indicate a leak if there was one. Also, if you gently push on the hull or cockpit you can tell if the bond between them is still intact.

4. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

I just checked and I do have that O ring do I have no idea where it could b leaking from

5. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

How were you pressurizing the hull to perform the soap/bubble test ?

6. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

I was blowing into the hull and my coach was watching to see if it was bubbling

7. laserxd

laserxd Member

Keep note of the conditions, does it leak only when waves come over the bow or in light air with no waves ect?

If its not the fittings or gunwales,

its likely to be hiding inside the autobailer, or if you don't have an autobailer it can also be the through deck fitting, check the centerboard trunk and the mainblock/daggerboard brake, double check the hull drain plug fitting, also if you have an inspection port (even a brand new one) that is a place to check, you could check the mast step as well since it could be more than 1 leak

8. laserxd

laserxd Member

Blowing by mouth? I don't think you could create enough pressure to see bubbles

you should try low pressure pump,

I use a compressor on low pressure setting with car wash soap, you can find leaks very quickly this way

9. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

We tested it first on the breathing hole and it bubbled. I have heard horror stories about boats blowing apart when you use a compressor.

10. wessel

wessel Member

A real easy test to find a leak in the bailer area or the centerboard is to cover over the bailer and cb slot (bottom side) with good duct tape and splash the boat for a while. If there isn't any water in the hull then take off one or the other and if it leaks then, then you will know which one it is.

I have a really old boat and it needs to have the bailer/cockpit joint fixed. I sail with duct tape over the bailer all the time and it holds really well.

When I say *splash* I mean to float it or sail it with tape over the bailer.

11. flaserlover

flaserlover Member

Is it possible that the leak is coming from the spider cracks on my hull around the daggerboard trunk? It didn't bubble when I tested it but maybe because they are long and thin it wouldn't show up in a bubble test.

12. chrisrock

chrisrock Member

Haha his problem was solved, he bought a new boat lol ;)

13. glexpress

glexpress Member

IMHO lungs have plenty of power for a bubble test, unless the boat is Swiss cheese or you have COPD.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Greg Morrissey

Greg Morrissey Member

I have the very same problem with a 12 year old laser. I have new auto bailer and done the soap bubble test and no cracks but after about 3 hours of sailing in 7knts of wind I can have up to 1 , 1 1/2 gallons of water in the hull and idea

15. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

Did you put enough soap in the water and get enough pressure from the pump?

When I tried it the first time, i didn't use enough water... I found that a thinner mix applied very liberally bubbled up easier. I also noticed that when I pulled the bike pump (nozzle wrapped in electric tape to form a better seal) from the cockpit drain plug opening, I could hear the air escaping.

Ive seen bubbling up around a grab rail and base of a ratchet block / hiking strap anchor. Nothing major but perhaps enough to draw water in from the breather hole during a capsize.