Blocks Questions?

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by tcwings20, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I have been made aware though that some manufacturers of Laser specific parts are not allowed to sell them outside of the Laser distribution channels. As to whether these parts are covered under that I do not know.

If you are worried about class legality then you should ensure your parts are class legal before you spend your hard earned cash.

2. tcwings20

tcwings20 Member

I'm new and obviously I don't fully understand the whole class legality thing. Allen Bros says their legal but I have to buy them through a legal seller? And I can buy them from APS but not Intensity? I understand that Intensity is more of a "side" dealer and because of that does that mean everything they sell isn't class legal?

3. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That is correct. Intensity sells imitation parts and sails.

4. 203

203 Very Senior Member

Not to belabor this too much, but Intensity sells perfectly legal tiller systems, line kits, extensions, etc.

I'm not trying to incite a riot here, but to tell tcwings20 that everything they sell is illegal is simply wrong.

5. laserxd

laserxd Member

I would say clean the blocks you have then save up for the ball bearing boom and trav blocks, they will make more difference than just getting new blocks

6. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

I use the Dyneema version (the swivel head wasn't available when I bought mine, nor when it was replaced a year later)
    I'm happy with it, have not had to replace the strop due to wear, but I use an extra shackle between the strop and the eyestrap on the boat.
    I don't use a spring or the supplied boot to keep the block standing up, instead I wrap my mainsheet around it a few times which works for me.

The strop does not allow the block to completely spin, which IMHO is a plus. Looking at their design on the swivel post, it looks like that version does not allow you to stop it from swiveling more then 359 degrees, which is a minus IMHO.

So, if I were buying right now, I would get the strop version again..

Can't answer you on why WM is selling the strop version for less, but if I had to guess, it's because someone hasn't updated the pricing on it..

7. tcwings20

tcwings20 Member

Could you explain this? DO you just mean you have the shackle on the boat, then another one, then the Dyneema?

How do you clean the blocks I would really like to be able to do this. Thanks

8. tonyquoll

tonyquoll Member

To clean the blocks, blast them out with a hose. Try to get it down the sides of the sheaves to rinse out all salt, sand or other material that may be in there. Spin the sheaves with your fingers to try and dislodge any grit.
    Once they're clean and dry, lubricate them. I've found either "Innox" http://www.inox-mx3.com/product_detail.php?productID=10 or WD40 silicone http://www.wd40.com.au/3inone/silicone_spray.php to work very well.

Personally I still use all the original blocks on Laser 24877 "Firefly (built 1976). This includes an Aussie-made Riley No.324 auto-ratchet block.
    Similar to: http://www.hardwareforboats.com.au/...=1079&osCsid=e0857d65cb42f5cf0efa613968d83ad6
    The old mainsheet blocks dont spin as freely as modern bearing blocks, and I have to push the boom out in light winds. The ratchet works perfectly.

The Ronstan Orbit 55 Ratchet RF56101 http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF56101 seem by far the most popular used on Lasers today. Almost all boats I saw at the recent NSW Laser Masters used them.
    I've used a variety of ratchet blocks on Paper Tiger catamarans, which have similar sheeting angles and loads to the Laser. A 2008 Ronstan auto-ratchet failed when the interior spring broke, so it either never engaged or always engaged the ratchet. Ronstan replaced it for free. Perhaps this is the problem they fixed in production.
    I had trouble with it engaging under too light a load, making it hard to ease the sheets. The Harken carbo ratchamatic, part 2625, allows me to adjust the load at which the ratchet engages, and I prefer this. It does not have the same holding power, but I have no trouble holding the load and this allows the sheets to run out more freely.

9. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

No, it's exactly as I stated - eyestrap on the boat, shackle between eyestrap and dyneema loop

10. tcwings20

tcwings20 Member

Ohh OK thanks.

11. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

That's hardly surprising as it's what comes with all the new boats. The advantages of one ratchet block compared to another these days is pretty small and hardly worth swapping one for another.

12. tcwings20

tcwings20 Member

Does anyone know how to clean boom blocks or know an article on it?
    Thanks

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

You are right. My bad.

14. tcwings20

tcwings20 Member

Sorry about posting this twice. Thanks for the help tonyquoll.