Big or small; maybe even both

What would you you sail?

• Big boat

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Dinghy

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

tcwings20

I have never sailed on a big boat. The biggest boat I've sailed on was 18 ft long. I've always thought that if I sailed a big boat I would miss the hiking and the minor adjustments, but I'm sure there are new thrills in a bigger boat like the speed the power and I especially like spinnakers and the incredible size makes them look very cool. Someday I would also like to go sailing in a big race (Trans-Pac size) yes I realize its not likely, but I can hope. If you had the choice what would you sail a big boat or a dinghy and for what reasons?

I am the proud owner of a J24, and I believe that it could be your best best going from a laser dinghy to a race keelboat. Its easy to sail, very sensitive to trimming and rigging details, has a very large community base everywhere in the world, and it could be very economical to purchase and maintain. Just go on google and type j24, there are lots of information out there. Sure is not a pogo 2 (re: your comments about transat...), but it has a fantastic ride and even an old boat could still win big races around the buoys.

No one boat is perfect for everything or everybody.

My first sailboat was a Hobie 14. Fun, but for my wife and me, we needed a little more boat for our 50-something bodies.

We moved up to an O'Day 19 since it had a cuddy cabin and space for a port-a-potty. We trailer-sailed it. I could set it up within 30 minutes and be in the water. I could also single-hand it. But we started wanting to venture out into the coastal waters away from the protected harbors.

We got a Capri 22. It seemed so big! Space inside to sleep four and cockpit for four adults with wine and cheese. It is also Catalina's answer for a more affordable "J22" and does have "lots of control lines". Although we could trailer sail it, we opted for a slip - splurging on ourselves. We did sail most every weekend and joined in the Wednesday evening Beer Can races.

I am finishing restoring a Cape Dory 25 which will go on a mooring this coming spring. It has more mass than the Capri 22 and will handle the higher winds of coastal cruising. There is 5 feet of head room and more cabin space. The cockpit is smaller than the Capri.

At some point we would like to go up one size more for full head room - approximately a 30 footer. It involves more cost and I will no longer be able to easily trailer (without permits) a boat that size. But it could stay in the water most of the year.

In the meantime, I got a '78 Laser to Frostbite sail and to allow me to have fun spontaneously sailing where ever I may be.

There are many reasons to have different boats. The larger they are, the more the upkeep. Many of the larger sailboat owners would love to have someone volunteer to crew for them. It can be much less expensive crewing than owning...

Back