Better Boat Racks

How many people does it take to get your boat to the water?

Votes: 13 65.0%

Votes: 6 30.0%

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rich Ericson

Hey! For those of you that store your Sunfishes on racks we're trying to design a better boat rack to make it easier for a single sailor to get their Sunfish or Laser off the rack easier. How many people does it take for all you guys to get your boats off the racks?

Do you want to know how many to get it off a rack or to the water, that's two different questions :)

The picture was from the Spring, another boat and 2 dollies have shown up since then. We need an easy rack system as we have 4 sailable Sunfish and 4 dollies. Right now they each have a dolly and their own spot but I'd prefer to stack them somehow and then be able to reload the dolly (or trailer) as needed with any of the boats without having to unstack all of them. Once they are on the dolly it is a one person job. So I guess I need a ferris wheel.....or carousel......

To get the wooden Sunfish or Super Sailfish down I lower one end at at time onto the deck or a dolly, a one person job. That is my long term project storage area.
Sunfish Shack 4.jpg

I have 2 fish on a stacked trailer and sail with my teenage daughter frequently. I've been trying to come up with a way to get a boat on the top rack with minimal or no help. My daughter is not strong enough to confidently lift one end by herself. If you have a reasonable solution, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I have 2 fish on a stacked trailer and sail with my teenage daughter frequently. I've been trying to come up with a way to get a boat on the top rack with minimal or no help. My daughter is not strong enough to confidently lift one end by herself. If you have a reasonable solution, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

By myself, I "car-top" my Sunfish, so maybe this is helpful—but you'll need to carry the ladder with you:

SnapfishSlideShowFlex - Google Chrome 1132013 100502 AM.jpg

Right now I have 2 hulls, one is on a garden trailer (4 x 6 black box), the other is on hubbys log trailer still hooked to the golf cart. Have not made it to the water yet, only had the boats 3 days. Plan is to make a trailer/cart suitable for storage and towing down to the lake on the golf cart. Thinking of some kind of sling set up, so we can have the hull on the trailer upside down or topside up.

My daughter is not strong enough to confidently lift one end by herself. If you have a reasonable solution, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Get 'er to a gym! :p

Well, otherwise, I've found that attaching a three-foot line (with carabiner clips and handles) at each end of the Sunfish, and you can swing bow and stern—alternately—down to the water. :cool:

Back