Best Way To Carry Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by urbo100, Mar 4, 2012.

1. urbo100

urbo100 Ian

All,
    I'll preface this question with a warning story of what can happen if you don't do the right thing by your body!

I recently ended up in Emergency with disorientation and memory loss. I had done a lot that day, a bike ride plus 5 short couse races. I did not have much to eat and very little to drink. The general opinion of the medicos that it was an episode brought on by obviously doing too much and not eating/drinking enough. It was a worring time for my wife as she didn't know whether I had had a stroke or not.

Now I am trying to carry a bottle of water on the boat but not having much luck finding a good solution to where to put it. I have it tied up with a short piece of rope at the back of the cockpit but aftyer a capsize yeaterday it got wound around the tiller and a nice loop around the traveller blocks (Arggghh...)

I was thinking that I could use a bicycle bottle holder screwed or velcroed to the back of the cockpit.

I had a search throug the forum and some people use an elasticised bag attached at the front.

Is there a preferred solution? What do the top sailors do?

Thanks Ian

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

If you have a port in the boat, you can get a bottleport.

3. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

I have seen quite a few with a (bicycle style) bottle holder that clamps to the mast.

:) PS: The top sailors have a coach on a Mommy boat with an ample supply of water and ...

4. torrid

torrid Just sailing

This Rooster presentation is mostly about the toestrap adjustment, but fast-foward to around 6:00 and he briefly talks about adding a piece of shock cord at the rear of the cockpit to hold a water bottle. And he's not a fan of attaching to the mast (which I have done for years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sail_J6

Sail_J6 New Member

I use the system explained by rooster above and also some elastic attached around the mast with another bottle through there. :)

6. torrid

torrid Just sailing

You can never carry enough water.

7. CoachK

CoachK Member

Super easy solution. Get a small dry bag with a plastic clip—from the local outdoor or boating store—big enough to fit a water bottle, sunscreen, and some snacks. Clip it to the base of your mast. It stays out of your way but is easy to reach when you need to rehydrate.

8. AlanD

AlanD Former ISAF Laser Measurer

And still currently illegal, from my understanding.

9. Bungo Pete

Bungo Pete Member

You're kidding! It's been a couple of years since the thing was introduced.... With all due respect to the powers-that-be, this is the reason why I avoid so-called "sanctioned" events and race with like minded individuals who just want to go out and compete and have fun.

10. sorosz

sorosz Member

The bottleport is just a differently shaped inspection port cover. You have to have a cover for your inspection port of course and the class rules don't say anything about what shape the inspection port cover has to be, only that they are allowed, you can't mount a compass to it and that the covers have to be threaded & watertight (not bayonet mounts). If the bottleport is threaded & watertight then why would it be illegal?

11. AlanD

Earlier thread on the same topic.

http://sailingforums.com/threads/bottleport-reviewed-by-tillerman.8814/

It runs into issue on several levels and no change in the wording has occurred since this came up the last time. The manufacturer was going to take this to the World Measurer several years ago and changes in the class rules had to be made to accommodate it, which meant running throught the voting procedure. The latter parts hasn't occurred. Hence why it's still likely to be illegal.

12. cskudder

cskudder Active Member

+1 to this ...

13. AlanD

In defence of the powers that be, just because something is available in your region, doesn't mean it's available in all regions, so they remain fairly unaware of the product. It's just as likely that Bottleport didn't get off their behind and approach the powers that be, to get the ball rolling.

14. AlanD

The top sailors in Australia are generally just attaching a plastic hook to a bike bottle, using shockcord or cord. They then just hook the bottle onto the shockcord / rope at the back of the cockpit for the hiking strap.

Alternatively, they have a long length of shockcord attached to the bike bottle that is tied off to the traveller fairleads, with the bottle sitting in the cockpit.

The Bottleport mentioned above is not available in Australia.

It's also illegal to use camel backs / geigerrigs hydration systems which are worn on the back. These were effectively banned when weight jackets were banned in the 90's.

15. urbo100

urbo100 Ian

Thanks AlanD. Not that I usually attend laser events but would it be legal to attach a bike bottle holder to the back of the cockpit?

16. AlanD

It's been a long time since I seen one on a laser, but I'm pretty sure they are legal. Pop down to MHASC one weekend and see how the others are doing it.

17. laserxd

laserxd Member

its important to stay hydrated, when I go out to practice in the summer I usually bring a camelback with ice cold water, I also use it for biking and sometimes on big boats when its really hot,

I usually just tie it on somewhere where it won't bother me or fall out during a roll tack/gybe or wipeout

the minimum I bring for a short afternoon sail is a water bottle, you can tie it to the back of the cockpit pretty easily

I had a bottleport and its great but I had to replace my inspection port and it doesn't fit the new port

at smaller regattas they might and should provide some water, if you're going to big events you should either have a coach boat or set up something with someone who does have one to carry plenty of water, in our frostbiting series I drink 1-2 bottles of water, when it gets warmer you need alot more water

18. Der_Dude

Der_Dude Member

Try this maybe. Look at the picture on page 3 re. b. "2. Flaschenhalterungen":

http://www.laserklasse.de/media/dokumente/Laser Umbau-Manual Norbert Peter Berlin 2005.pdf

Drill two holes 6 mm in diameter vertically through the plastic (or wood if you have a really old boat) grab rail near the rear and (out of the way of your main hunching/hiking position further forward) and pass one end od of a piece of 50 cm shock cord through each hole and tie simple knot. Slip a cycling bottle or any other bottle with a "waist" through both loops by stretching the shock cord over it. Violá.

19. urbo100

urbo100 Ian

That's the simplest and most accessable option so far. Thanks

20. Der_Dude

Der_Dude Member

Norbert Peter deserves the credits btw - except for the credits for my typos.