Best sail cloth repair tape

CajunSunfish

Good morning all!

I had a grommet rip out this past weekend and need to repair. I've found a grommet kit and ordered it. My question to the brain trust is should I install grommet near where the one that was ripped out, or should I replace in the same location? Either way, I will need to repair the ripped out portion. What is y'alls recommendation for sail repair tape, or other method of repairing and/or strengthening the area that was ripped?

Thanks!

My recommendation would be a sewn in patch of sailcloth... (with appropriate multiple stitch lines...) so its going to be a big patch to spread the grommet (sail attachment to the boom) stresses.

I wouldn't try a grommet in the tape and you probably need one where that one came out.

Note that when one grommet pops, its time to inspect the whole sail. Might be time for a new one.

I use the same material the sail is made out of, spray the back lightly with 3m 77, it keeps the patch in place for sewing, make the repair patch the same on both sides and zig zag or 3/1 zig zag 2 rows of stitching. If your going to add a grommet at that location, add a double thickness a little smaller then the patch, sew the same way.

It depends on which grommet has "gone south". If it's at the tack, clew or head (the corners) I'd use the above suggestions. Elsewhere, the grommets aren't so important, so you can fold a long strip of dacron sail repair tape, and punch the grommet through everything. (Folded over the same spot as the damaged/missing one). Be extra careful while positioning the repair tape, as small folds will develop within itself, and can't be undone. Dacron repair tape is very strong, and is available (Internet) in an inexpensive kit with several colors. :)

(Or at West Marine). :rolleyes:

P3270014_zpsatehvgmz.jpg

Reactions: tag
Harbor Freight has a grommet replacement kit. The large grommets are brass-looking, but are magnetic! Fresh or salt water, you don't want those grommets.

Back