Best Landing Strategies

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by Lane Waddell, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Lane Waddell

Lane Waddell New Member

Lali/Webfoot,

I agree there are two separate issues. Depowering and keeping the boat off the rocks.

Depowering - So I understand that the sail should be able to vane freely in the wind in front of the boat. The problem ive had thus far is that my rigging would not allow for the sail to get to the totally depowered posistion.

That being said, this most recent time I did get the sale down and still the sheer wind and waves pushed the boat into the shore and I coud not overpower with a paddle. Which means I may have to rely on sailpower until the last second.

I like the advice of a longer line to vane the sail when approaching on a full run. I also like the idea of the mast cleat except that even with the sail down I seem to not be able to overcome the wind and waves. Although I would likely have a better chance with the time saved using a cleay vs. Unwraoping everything. Does a cleat on the mast hurt it's structural integrity?

Keeping the boat off the rocks - This it looks like I either put out a temporsry moore of maybe jump off when shallow enough if I can depower in time. However, I still need a "helping hand" when I run to get the dolly. Thats usually when she goes sideways on the rocks. Any thoughts?

2. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Not clear if 'your' ramp has docks.
    The one on the lake where I frequently sail has docks on both sides of the ramp with a few cleats. That makes 'landing' a lot easier.

3. Lane Waddell

Lane Waddell New Member

Sadly it doesnt. There are some across the street but people there would have patience for setting up a sailboat

4. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

Leave out the paddle, it's another useless complication. Just jump in the water and walk the boat to the trolley.
    There has been some talk about this in the Laser department, and it may be useful in very strong wind when you need the full purchase again after you've gone through a narrow place with the sail "vaning" forward. At all other times, the extra length is just useless. The Sunfish sheet is SO easy to un/hook, too. You might as well use that function.
    Don't try to "overcome" the wind/waves, ride them toward the point you want to go. It's where you drop the sail that counts here.
    Leave the trolley in a place where you can reach it while, preferably, holding on to the boat, or at least a very short run away. (That's where you left it when you went out, right?) If someone has taken it farther while you were sailing, pull the boat halfway out of the water and put something soft under it so you can leave it there for a short while. Your life jacket is ok for this (unless the ramp is very rough). And of course, if there are any other people on the shore they're certainly jerks if they don't help when you ask.

Where is your ramp exactly? (I've found your lake already :D ) Depending on the geography, you may need special techniques for some wind directions.

5. Lane Waddell

Lane Waddell New Member

Look up Shull island boat launch. Its not the main one its the one on the East side of the bridge.

There has been some talk about this in the Laser department, and it may be useful in very strong wind when you need the full purchase again after you've gone through a narrow place with the sail "vaning" forward. At all other times, the extra length is just useless. The Sunfish sheet is SO easy to un/hook, too. You might as well use that function

I agree. This is probably the best method. I tried this and it wouldnhave worked if the boom wasnt restricted preventing it from going totally down wind.

Don't try to "overcome" the wind/waves, ride them toward the point you want to go. It's where you drop the sail that counts here.

This isnot entirely possible. Althoughwe have been talking about running dead down wind it is probably more often a reach. Sonas soon as you de power the winds and waves push you along the shore more than towards the ramp. You cant come in any closer upwind either because of the rocks.

still need a "helping hand" when I run to get the dolly. Thats usually when she goes sideways on the rocks. Any thoughts?

I think the keyis 1. Get depowering down pat and then 2. Just jump out and pull the boat onto a long rubber mat.

6. drjay44

drjay44 Member

I reread the original post. Since you are launching/landing from a dock just turn upwind as you approach. As soon as you turn into the wind uncleat the main and let drop to the deck. Then use a painter line to tie to dock while you get dolly. This is how I land downwind on beach between 2 aluminum ramps. Typically i can have the sail land on deck but i f should land in the water just lift onto deck and after loading hoist for a few minutes to dry.

I don't see a problem as you should be able to avoid rocky beach. if you miscalculate and head toward the rocks hop off boat and walk to dock, tie off and get the dolly.

Actually your issue is preferable to having only a rocky beach and no dock.

7. LaLi

LaLi Active Member

To be totally honest, that looks like a very easy spot to land! I imagined some long and narrow waterway between rocky breakwaters...

It looks like only southeasterly winds would cause the problems you've been talking about. Coming in, sail to a spot about 50 metres directly to windward of where you left your trolley, head up, stop, drop the sail, and... relax. When the water gets shallow enough, jump in, and walk the boat to the trolley (which you obviously can leave at the water's edge on the gravelly beach).

Forget about your sheet or halyard. (And don't even think of anchors or paddles.)

Drjay: he's not using a dock. The closest looks very much like a private one.

8. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Ya know...thinking....deploying twin parachutes...like on dragsters, and dropping 10 ft vertical spikes....both port and starboard...and some sort of catapulting mechanism to get you quickly to shore......oh yeah!!!!!

9. Light and Variable Winds

Light and Variable Winds Well-Known Member

Shull Island Ramp:

Fullscreen capture 10302017 74226 PM.bmp.jpg

Assuming it's the area I've designated "A"?

With my old rounded daggerboard, I just wait 'til it starts scraping the sand, then I slide off—usually on the opposite side from the main—and corral the boat, turning it into the wind. Then I drop the main, raise the board and rudder, and pull it to shore where its wooden ramp awaits.

/