beach launching & landing

Student Driver

I'm going beach camping in a couple of weeks and thinking about bringing the laser. While surfing the laser ought to be tons of fun, a couple of things give me an unappetizing pause:
1. Rigging on the beach and then carrying or dragging the rigged boat out through the surf
2. Potentially running aground at planing/surfing speeds
3. …particularly when trying to come back in to land in the surf

Does anybody have any experience beach launching & landing their laser and could offer some advice on the feasibility and methods? There will be no sheltering structures around, just miles and miles of open beach and water. The good news at least is that there are no rocks and no other known obstructions, just loads of Texas Gulf Coast sand. I will have other people with me who can help, but nobody more knowledgable than me.

I will have the boat's trailer, though the slope of the beach will be too shallow to use a car to back it down like a ramp. But if the surf is relatively calm I may be able to use the trailer to help transition the boat from floating depth to dry land.

It can definitely be done, I used to beach sail alot in the summer, you'll need an extra hand or 2 if you don't have a dolly, double check to make sure everything is rigged up right before you head out especially if its rough, the hardest part is probably getting out when there are big waves

you will want to lift your board up and undo you rudder tie down when you come back in, just incase you sail over a shallow spot.

take note of sandbars and the tide, luff up the sail on the way in to keep the boat underpowered, if you come in on a plane and run aground it won't be good so take it slow on the way in, hop out of the boat when the depth is about waist high and that way you won't run aground,

It can definitely be done, I used to beach sail alot in the summer, you'll need an extra hand or 2 if you don't have a dolly, double check to make sure everything is rigged up right before you head out especially if its rough, the hardest part is probably getting out when there are big waves

you will want to lift your board up and undo you rudder tie down when you come back in, just incase you sail over a shallow spot.

take note of sandbars and the tide, luff up the sail on the way in to keep the boat underpowered, if you come in on a plane and run aground it won't be good so take it slow on the way in, hop out of the boat when the depth is about waist high and that way you won't run aground,

That seems pretty reasonable. Thanks, LaserXD!

Depends on how big the surf is really. A small surf is easy to deal with. If you have a large surf area hopping out at waist deep may not be possible or might even be dangerous (you don't want a wave to pick the boat up and hit you/damage boat as its thrown up the beach - I've seen it happen)

If may be best to just sail in till you land, running aground on sand isn't going to do your hull any damage (as long as it is just sand and your foils are raised - not that I like grounding any laser). Otherwise if you have people on shore to catch you time your landing so they are prepared, point the boat at shore and head in. When you are close enough your helpers can catch the boat as you hop out and quickly carry the boat out of the surf onto land. There are a few places I've sailed where beach crews like this are needed to launch/land.

I launch from and land on shore all the time, but I'm on Lake Huron. We have a dolly, which is where I do all the rigging and de-rigging. It's pretty difficult for one person to handle getting it in and out alone with the dolly (mainly due to wind and waves...which are the conditions when I want to sail ;)). A second person there makes it much, much easier. I always turn into the wind before hitting the beach, when the water is about waist deep. I take the daggerboard up, raise the rudder, and guide the boat in from there. Derigging is pretty easy once it's on the beach on the dolly.

As far as getting out goes, I just push the boat out until I can safely get the rudder down and am confident I'll be able to get out without being pushed back to the shore. Sandbars can be tricky, especially in waves, but I always make sure I know the depth before crossing them (and raise/lower the daggerboard as necessary) and I don't have problems. I'm not sure of the conditions you'll face in the Gulf, but with someone around to help you it should be doable.

I have read a few things the past few days that would all have been made easier with a small dolly to rest the bow on. You could then just lift at the stern and push like a wheelbarrow.

if you aren't racing it could easily be bungeed to the bow eye on the deck too for when you get back in.

Just a thought

What kind of "Beach" are you talking about? A US based Atlantic ocean beach? A Gulf shore beach? West coast beach? Your biggest concern will be waves, (if you are on a true beach) and how to get in and out of the surf. 90% of the reply posts are NOT discussing dealing w/waves here which leads me to believe they are not thinking about a "surfs up dude" kind of beach.

What kind of "Beach" are you talking about? A US based Atlantic ocean beach? A Gulf shore beach? West coast beach? Your biggest concern will be waves, (if you are on a true beach) and how to get in and out of the surf. 90% of the reply posts are NOT discussing dealing w/waves here which leads me to believe they are not thinking about a "surfs up dude" kind of beach.

I intend to launch from Surfside, TX. I did neglect to state for the sake of those unfamiliar with Texas Gulf Coast conditions that the surf conditions typically range from calf-high to shoulder-high with onshore breezes typically ranging from 5 — 15ish kts.

If it's calf high go have fun. If it's shoulder high stay on the beach and cruise for chicks, (or dudes depending on your orientation). Your boat will thank you for it.

If it's calf high go have fun. If it's shoulder high stay on the beach and cruise for chicks, (or dudes depending on your orientation). Your boat will thank you for it.

Take this guys advice.

I've witnessed people trying to land/launch in surf and if the boat ends up going side on to waves it just results in damage to boat and injury to sailors, none of which you want. (Think washing machine effect).

If you've got shoulder-height waves crashing on the beach, I would also not recommend launching. I've launched in about waist-height surf on Lake Huron (9' waves out on the lake) and it's doable with a second person. I've never had too much trouble with rolling in these conditions because the waves and wind are coming from about the same direction. It can be a bit hard to get out, though, since I have to go on a pretty close beat.

I intend to launch from Surfside, TX. I did neglect to state for the sake of those unfamiliar with Texas Gulf Coast conditions that the surf conditions typically range from calf-high to shoulder-high with onshore breezes typically ranging from 5 — 15ish kts.

There was an infamous JY-15 sailor many years ago who liked to launch his boat off the beach in Gavleston. He wound up breaking several masts.

Back