Aussie Laser Sailors

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by tristanaus, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Alysum

Alysum Member

G'day,
    Is anyone here going to compete at the NSW state champs at Port Stephens on the 7-8th of March ?
    I'm wondering whether to go to it. Just not sure how hard it is. Oh I won't win, just for fun and I could well be last, a bit embarassing lol Will it be just full of very good sailors or will there be some hacks ?
    Also will my old sail number 165818 make me look 'poor' ?

2. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Hey Alysum - I'd say go for it. Sure there will be all the top guys there, but the state fleets normally have good depth, and people still learning to sail in reggatas. You will no doubt learn a lot. Great waterway to sail on too.

3. TonyB

TonyB Member

I agree with Rock Steady - get out there! Big regattas are always fun, and Port Stephens is a great place to sail.

There will be very good sailors, there will be hacks, and there will be everything in between, which means it would be a great learning experience. Who knows, you might end up on the start line right next to the best Laser sailor in the world - how cool is that?

There will be lots of new boats there, but there will be a lot of boats older than 165xxx too. The boats around that era were consistently good and worth hanging on to so don't worry about that.

I'd love to be there myself, but another trip down from Brisbane so soon after Terrigal might be hard to manage. Oh well.

4. JasonB

JasonB New Member

GDay all,
    I am a newbie to Laser sailing, used to sail a Manly Junior when I was a kid. I own a older boat sail number 153132 and have been sailing off Clontarf in middle harbour and having a great time and sometimes a wet time. I went to Plam Beach on Saturday and saw a fleet out sailing which by looks , put there boats in at the boat ramp behind the Barrenjoey headland, does anyone know what club this is.
    I also went up to Terrigal on Sunday, though the race was almost as far as the tankers which and anchored off the coast it was great to check out the areana and the racers as they came to shore.

Regards
    JasonB

5. HECS

HECS New Member

I think it would have been a group of sailors training for the worlds, rather than a club.I think the Lasers sail with the combined RPA/ASC/BYRA fleet further south.

I don't live there any more so this is only a guess.

6. Alysum

Alysum Member

mmm that sounds tempting them to go to the state champs.

How many races will there usually be ?

7. Blocka33

Blocka33 New Member

Hi all,

Just new to sailing (6mths) and am looking at the Laser. Have done a basic course in the corsair and just completed an introduction to racing in a spiral but i am a bit large for it !

I bought an old (1980) Fireball to fix up and continue learning and it has been great fun but am finding it more and more difficult to rely on others to go out on the water..........

I have joined the forum to gain as much knowledge as i can so that i can be more educated prior to purchasing anything as well as getting all the inside tips for becoming a better sailor !!!

This is a great forum - your knowledge is very helpful:)

Cheers

Rhys
    Canberra ACT

8. Alysum

Alysum Member

I got some more information about the NSW state champs from the NSW laser association:

I think I might go :) but first I have to see where I can stay overnight, I imagine it will be pretty booked out...

9. JasonB

JasonB New Member

I reckon that sounds like a great race event , do you have the dates, I am keen to start racing but being a first timer not sure what to enter. Are you in a club or do you have to be to race in this event.
    I was down at middle aharbour the other day and noticed all these tents up araound the MHAYC must be cheap accomdation for the masters(he he)

Regards
    JasonB

10. rock steady

rock steady New Member

March 2008 [​IMG]
    NSW State Laser Championships
    Dates: 8/9 March 2008
    Venue: Port Stephens Sailing & Aquatic Club - Confirmed
    Note: Major prizes enter the draw to win a new sail. More Entry Form: Regatta entry On-line credit card entry: Here (closing date for on-line entry Thurs 6 March 08)
    [​IMG][​IMG]You must be an association member to sail in association events - membership form

http://www.laser.asn.au/calendar.htm

Hey Mal - I'd say there is still heaps of camping in the caravan parks around "
    Soldiers Point" available.

11. laser171110

laser171110 New Member

Im a 4.7 sailor in melbourne my home club is the Albert Sailing Club

12. maljam

maljam New Member

Thanks for the info, Rock Steady. I haven't done nearly enough sailing this season, bugger it! Not to worry. Thanks again.

13. Atlas

Atlas New Member

Hey Maljam

Wheres Carcoar Dam ?????

I have been told about sailing at Keepit cool sailing regatta at Keepit Dam so we are going to do that for something differen to do for the winter season.

What do you blokes do out there? Would it worth bring out some of our boys for a race? Deepending on where you are that is.

Cheers

14. maljam

maljam New Member

Hiya. Carcoar Dam is half-way between Bathurst and Cowra, in NSW's Central West. About 3 1/2 - 4 hours west of Sydney.

Yeah... if you wanna experience rural inland lake sailing mid-winter, give Keepit Kool Regatta a try! I didn't go last year myself, as it was snowing!

you'd be more than welcome to come out for a sail at Carcoar anytime... except, at the moment - we've no water! The drought, you know... so yeah, we done hardly any sailing there at all this season, unfortunately. We haven't had a regatta out there for about 4 years (?), simply because of the low water levels.

Here's our sailing Club webpage that'll fill you in.
    http://carcoarsail.yoll.net/

15. Hamma

Hamma New Member

i am an aussie sailer from Western Australia. I sail lasers at MOFSC.:)

16. Flusha

Flusha New Member

Hey guys,

Im a Adelaide based aussie sailor. Anyone going to the Adelaide international regatta this weekend??

17. 177102

177102 New Member

Yeah I will be sailing the AIR

I will be the one upside down!

18. ducky

ducky New Member

Hi
    I sail at Chelsea yacht club in Victoria
    I only just started sailing a laser and am loving it.

19. maljam

maljam New Member

Nice to meet you guys. I haven't even taken my boat off its trailer this season - yet! dagnammit! :(

20. 45047

45047 New Member

Hey guys
    Nsw Inland sailors rule. We take on the most variable flukey conditions in the world.
    Wallerawang is great and Southern Highlands (fitzroy falls) is my home club

hey chris, hopefully i'll come to the regatta again next year, was a great weekend.

will