Aussie Laser Sailors

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by tristanaus, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

That's a shame. So you have Laser 2 elbow? What motion caused the injury? Last summer I had pain in my wrists and it seems to have gone away this year. The little muscles would get all knotted up and I could relieve the pain by pressing on the knots. Are you sure you don't have something like this? Maybe just taking a break would relieve it, like I did in the winter, and you could go back to it.

2. laser2_9804

laser2_9804 New Member

Yes, it is tennis elbow. That's not the reason I'm selling my boat, I've just moved onto sailing 125's. Anyway, hopefully my arm will be better soon because the sailing season starts in September.

3. rock steady

rock steady New Member

New season starting up dudes. What regattas are you doing? Post them here.

I'm heading down to Sydney Harbour for the Double Bay Anniversary Regatta this weekend. I'll probably also do the NSW State Masters (my first!) and Open NSW States in Canberra.

4. Turin Gray

Turin Gray New Member

Moving to Melbourne in October. What club should I join? I want a good junior program for my kids.

5. rock steady

rock steady New Member

I'm not a Victorian sailor, but I would be checking out Sandringham YC.

6. Turin Gray

Turin Gray New Member

What about Port Melbourne YC? It is closer to where I want to live.

7. Radial 171107

Radial 171107 New Member

check out www.daveysbay.org.au we are buildin up a fleet of lasers, fireballs (that never get sailed), sabots, have flying fifteens and also pacers. We are a very friendly club. We need new members!

8. hitime

hitime New Member

9. Alysum

Alysum Member

Hey I'm a Sydneysider :D

Where do you Sydneysiders go sailing ?

I plan to do most in the Iron cove and around cockatoo island...

Anyone done any at Pittwarer ? Any good or too windy ?

10. suthera

suthera Member

There are some good clubs near Iron Cove; Hunters Hill is probably the pick. West of the bridge there is a limited amount of room and it is very land locked. Flat water and very shifty. East of the Harbour Bridge is a different kettle of fish; waves, open water, settled sea breeze, but a lot of traffic. There are excellent laser fleets at Vaulcluse (75th anniversary this year) , Double Bay (Now easily accesible through cross city tunnel), and Middle Harbour. You can see the websites for all these clubs via the magic of google.

11. maljam

maljam New Member

[hope this aint a double post!]
    I'm new to sailing Lasers - Santa bought me an old but reliable one for Xmas (tho I've been sailing on and off for 20 years). Previously I've been sailing a Solo out of Carcoar Dam Sailing Club in the Central West of NSW, Australia. In my teenage years I sailed Flying 11s and 16-foot skiffs.

12. Alysum

Alysum Member

I was planning to join the Dobroyd Aquatic Club at Rodd point, great place to sail. But they race on saturdays and I play cricket on saturdays.... I see that Woolahra sails races on sundays and they have a HUGE laser fleet but then again it's more windy, choppy, more traffic...tough decision !

13. jackson_226

jackson_226 New Member

i sail in taree nsw

14. maljam

maljam New Member

[hmmm... strange... I made a post on this thread yesterday, yet today it's gone! :confused: ]

I'm only new to sailing Lasers... santa dropped a good old second-hand one off under my Xmas Tree this Xmas for moi... normally I've been sailing a Solo out of Carcoar Dam in the Central West of NSW. carcoarsail.yoll.net

It'll take a little bit of getting used to... tis like jumping from a car with a manual transmission into an automatic! heh heh.

15. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Yeah there is something wierd happenning with the posts in this thread??

Welcome to Laser sailing Maljam. Great to see another Central West sailor on here. I sail just about every week on Lake Wallace (Wallerawang Sailing Club) - we normally get 4 or 5 Lasers out. I also try and get to a few Laser Class regatta's each year as well.

I hope your getting all this rain out west too. Should fill a few dams up!

PM me if you want any more info.

16. maljam

maljam New Member

Thanx for the welcome. I think I've actually met you at the W'ang Regatta back in November anyways. I was sailing the leaky Solo! heh heh I'm planning on attending a few sails casually at W'ang before the seasons' out, plus a few weekends up at Windamere too. I might see you at the Oberon regatta in 2 weeks as well.
    Thanx again. See you out on the water somewhere :)

17. Radial 171107

Radial 171107 New Member

Anyone doing sail melbourne OCR and invited classes? It's being hosted at sandringham YC.

18. Alysum

Alysum Member

G'day aussie sailors,

For those in Sydney I have a good strong dolly for sale...as I'm getting a new one which locks onto a trailer.

I also have a backup full rig sail for sale (163xxx something) or I'm happy to exchange it with a Radial sail. (I would also need a radia lower mast if anyone has one).

Anyone interested in either please email me at darkshines_@hotmail.com

Cheers ;)

19. Alysum

Alysum Member

hey sydneysiders,

I'm keen to sail at some new places where the water is not too choppy so when I was exploring the greater Sydney map I saw the Narrabeen lakes. Can you sail there ? Is there a good place to moor the boat ?

What's it like doing it off Palm beach too in Pittwater ? It always looks flat the water but I imagine it must in fact be choppy ?

Cheers,

20. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Hey Alysum. I sailed last weekend with Dobroyd Aquatic Club. It is the most western syd harbour club. A 15 - 20 kt NE still channelled through beautifully and the water remained relatively flat.

If you want really flat water come up to my club (see sig) and try sailing on an inland lake. I often get conditions when I can catch a 25kt gust downwind in waves no bigger than a few centremetres - no thats sm :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: th.

BTW - Anyone here doing the States in Canberra this weekend?