At Anchor. Splash

Petrel

Last week was a very hot day in interior New England -- 94 degrees F. But, there was a decent breeze. I always wear a swim suit, even if under cut offs.

I sailed around a little pennisula where I'd be away from the PWC and overpowered motorboat crowd. There are homes on this large pond, many with docks and floats and whatnot. I sailed close to where a woman and her kids were hanging around their dock and asked if I could tie up to their (empty) float so that I could take a swim.

"No!" She answered so curtly that I got the distinct impression she wouldn't even let me sail if she had anything to say about that. I replied, okay, not a problem. Then I sailed about 30 yards away in the lee and shade of the same point and dropped my little foldable anchor and gave out about 10 ft of extra line. Then I lowered the sail, peel down to my swimsuit, donned my snorkled mask and tube and slid over the side of my SF. The water was just right. Heaven. I'd wanted to use the float because I wanted to lazily keep the sail up and also I was curious as to what the owner's response would be to my request.

I have a few different anchors, but I'm really glad I have this little 2 lb. ? folding grapnel thing. It came in a bag with another boat. I highly recommend it.

Do others here anchor and swim from their SF? Later I sailed over to a vacant town beach on the opposite side of the pond, pulled the fish up to that sandy shore and swam from there. The bottom was a bit boggy and weedy. I liked swimming off the fish better. It was a perfect day. I love my Sunfish! The forum folks here helped me get it ready and sailable, so I am very appreciative.

Correction: The anchor came in a bag, the other boat that the anchor came with was NOT in a bag. Really, it wasn't.

Back