Are Laser performance sunfish higher quality?

GunnarM

I am looking for a new or used sunfish and was wondering if the 2007 and on sunfish boats have less quality/strenght issues than older models?

Thanks!

I have worked on many Sunfish hulls ranging from early 1960's boats to very recent Vanguard hulls. They all should weigh about the same (130 lbs + or -) but the newer boats seem to have thinner decks and are somewhat more prone to non-structural gel coat cracks especially in the area right around the cockpit where you sit. However, the newer boats seem to have stiffer underbodies and hold their hull stiffness better and are therefore a little faster than the older hulls. The Pearson boats (Hull ID numbers start with "PB") were particularly prone to deck cracks. The Vanguard boats are definitely better than the Pearson hulls.

Hope this is helpful. Others may have different opinions.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks Alan,

That is very helpful. Do you know if there is any difference with the Vanguard boats vs. the Laser Performance boats?

I also was considering a Butterfly.

"...the newer boats seem to have thinner decks and are somewhat more prone to non-structural gel coat cracks especially in the area right around the cockpit where you sit..."
Since the 60s, Americans are heavier as individuals (and collectively). Could be a factor, right? :p

Thanks Alan,

That is very helpful. Do you know if there is any difference with the Vanguard boats vs. the Laser Performance boats?

I also was considering a Butterfly.

It's my impression that there are no significant differences between Vanguard and Laser Performance (LP) built Sunfish. After all, the LP boats are made in the former Vanguard facility, and I presume that most of the workers were kept. There have been occasional lemons in the past, but Vanguard has backed up their boats and I hope that LP will do the same.

The Butterfly is a scow and popular mostly in the Great Lakes area.

Back