Are Intensity Sails Faster? Etc.

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Deimos, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Deimos

Deimos Member

Re: Are Intensity Sails Faster?

Just to show my ignorance of how the class operates; is there any reason why the class cannot vote and allow e.g. Bogus Sails Inc to make and sell sails for the Laser (e.g. direct) and that as they are "Class Approved" they would be fully legal. i.e. to bypass the builder, etc.

I admit it might not be a "good idea" as (if it could be done) it would undoubtedly annoy builder, retailers, North/Hyde, etc. but just the thread that they could do it might make the supply chain think again and at least try to keep people a bit happier as far as the pricing issue goes.

Ian

2. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Only Vanguard dealers sell legal sails in North America, as well. As for the dealer network, I think the nature of that is going to change here. When we bought the Bahia at Annapolis, I spoke to the PSE rep and asked him how things were going to change in America. For one thing, he said that distribution would change. There will no longer be sales districts in which dealers can't work out of. I'll let you draw your own conclusions. He also said that production would change and that we would get better boats.

3. Debos

Debos New Member

Since the suppliers are rather powerful in the class association, it is unlikely that this discussion is going to change anything.

4. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

There are four parties that have a say in what happens: the class (i.e. its members), the builders, Bruce Kirby and, finally, ISAF (though it would be hard for ISAF to go against something the other three agreed to).

It would be a hurdle to get the builders and Bruce Kirby to agree to a change in the Fundamental Rule. Clearly it would reduce income to the builders, an obvious hurdle in getting them to sign off, but, more importantly, it would also be a complete paradigm shift with respect to the Laser philosophy. Still, if the class membership, worldwide, were solidly behind it then I would think it would be hard for the builders and/or Bruce Kirby to reject it. Note that "solidly" means a very significant fraction of the membership would have to nearly universally support it (and remember that current rules votes barely get 5% response, even with, typically, 6 months of online balloting available).

But... this is not the message that the membership is communicating to the ILCA office. Rather, the message ILCA has received, with respect to sails, is that people do not want to see a radical change to the game. Rather, they want to see the same sail made more durable. And that is the challenge that has been put to the builders/sailmakers.

5. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

If true, this means the damn fools do not recognize the value of a strong local enthusiastic Laser dealer. Few fleets begin without a strong local dealer. Few fleets grow without the support of a strong local dealer. No fleet can survive without a strong local dealer.
    Dis assembling the local dealer network has killed growth in every sailboat class where a foolish builder has disassembled that network.

What?? All Llasers are either 100% alike or they are not Lasers!! if the builder decides to buiuld a different boat...

Well what the hell will be the excuse for the rest uf us not to just build any old thing and call it a laser.
    Or as this thread beagn...If the builders can change the boat why can't we use any old sail we can find??

Goose

gander??

huh???

6. bjmoose

bjmoose Member

Yeah, it's not a Laser(TM) if you don't have to file a warranty claim in the first twelve months. ;-)

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Interesting to learn more about the procedures. I suppose my question was more one of "motivational threat" (i.e. if the builder see what might just happen they might me more positive about a part way there solution).

I am keen on keeping things a strict one design, but feel that sails is one area where the fact that they wear out means that, if a change was made there would not be too long a period where people with differing bear were competing (e.g. change the boards and most people will be stuck with their existing boards for many years as they don't wear out too much).

If improvements can be made whilst keeping the "even playing field" (even if it takes a couple of years for the field to become even again) then I would be in favour.

Ian