APS Mast Float Bag

Does anyone have experience with the APS mast float bag (looks like it's designed for Optis)? The product page is here: https://www.apsltd.com/c-4690-mastfloatbuoyancybag.aspx

It seems like it'd be easier to work with than the Baby Bob, and since I have an Omega I'm not sure if the float from Catalina will even fit.
I just got off the phone with APS. My problem is that I have the Expo 14.2 model. There is no jib and the mail furls around the mast. After talking with a consultant at APS, it seems like this will not work for me, but in the conversation he did say that he has heard from several Capri 14.2 owners that have used this successfully. Good luck with your question. I'll keep searching. Maybe the Baby Bob will be my best option

I just got off the phone with APS. My problem is that I have the Expo 14.2 model. There is no jib and the mail furls around the mast. After talking with a consultant at APS, it seems like this will not work for me, but in the conversation he did say that he has heard from several Capri 14.2 owners that have used this successfully. Good luck with your question. I'll keep searching. Maybe the Baby Bob will be my best option

Does anyone have experience with the APS mast float bag (looks like it's designed for Optis)? The product page is here: https://www.apsltd.com/c-4690-mastfloatbuoyancybag.aspx

It seems like it'd be easier to work with than the Baby Bob, and since I have an Omega I'm not sure if the float from Catalina will even fit.

Ceej: That float looks interesting. Probbay could easily make your own using a swimmer's "noodle". I use a noodle sometimes on my c-14.2 in a way that might work for you too. Bend the noodle into a semicircle, then fasten ends with a small line, and then attach at top of mast. I used the two holes already there and then drilled two more so that there are 4 in cardinal directions, and then I put a nylon tie thru each, thru which I thread the noodles' line to secure. Noodle sits flat on top of mast and only takes a few minutes to install as the line is permanently attached to the noodle. Looks silly, but is nice security when conditions merit. RK of Tomato Sloop

I have that float bag. I actually would not recommend it. I found that it if you are in any sort of a blow at all, it can be difficult to get the main up/down all the way as the bag wants to bend around the mast and snag things up. I was hoping that it was a more cost effective alternative to a baby bob, but was rather disappointed and I don't use it anymore. I've actually found the boat to be more stable than most give it credit for, and no longer fear capsizing. As long as you are smart about always hanging onto the main sheet, you should be fine.

I have this and hoist on the Jib connected to the haylard and second hank. Works great, added security.

I don't have the APS mast float but do have a float that I attach to the top of the mast before I raise the mast. I purchased the float from swindonwatersports.co.uk which cost about $15-20 (depending on the exchange rate.)

I had it on the mast the one time that I went over and it worked like a charm. Until I actually went over I was concerned that it wouldn't provide enough buoyancy but as I swam around the boat to grab the center board I looked back at the top of the mast and saw the float standing straight up in the air with about half of the bag submerged (the top of the mast was under water.) Even with the wind blowing against the bottom of the hull the boat didn't turtle (although it did continue to slide slowly towards the shore.) I was surprised at how easily and quickly the boat righted itself once I pulled down on the center board. This is what the mast float bag looks like:

floatbag.JPG

You can't tell from the picture but it has a grommet in the edge of the bag that makes it easy to attach. I already had a small hole in the top of the mast so I added an eyescrew and use a large "O" ring to attach the float to the top of the mast. When it is on the mast it looks like a rather fat flag but doesn't seem to effect the handling of the boat at all.

Back