Anyone Ever Removed The Pesky Raised Cockpit Rim?

andyatos

Took "The Betty" out for a 5 hour long, 12 mile, Jenner to Duncan's Mills bridge out and return on Saturday to see if I've taken care of the hull leaks. During this outing, I was reminded of how much I like having a Sunfish. Super fast to rig, can sail it standing up, don't have to duck as much and tacks and jibes, etc. And she goes upwind pretty darn well with that new GRP, long, daggerboard.

But one thing I don't like is that darn, raised, cockpit rim edge. My Laser has a rounded one which is super comfortable. The one on the Sunfish is a pain. Literally. My co-owner of The Betty hates it so much, he sails around with a boat cushion just to pad his behind.

Anyone ever ground that raised cockpit edge down to flat? By, for example, filling the underside of the area with fiberglass matt then grinding the raised topside edge down?

- Andy

those look REALLY nice, but seem to be more anti-skid versus padding. I'd think you could have some pads, sort of like large boat cockpit cushions, that might be held in with snaps. If snaps didn't work...bolt rope in tracks would surely hold if the track wasn't a problem without cushions.

those look REALLY nice, but seem to be more anti-skid versus padding. I'd think you could have some pads, sort of like large boat cockpit cushions, that might be held in with snaps. If snaps didn't work...bolt rope in tracks would surely hold if the track wasn't a problem without cushions.
I agree; those pads won't help a bit with, what I perceive to be, Andy's problem. But hiking pants will, especially the ones with battens or thick inserts.

Back