Anyone ever lost the wind and....

Discussion in 'Sunfish Talk' started by mixmkr, Aug 21, 2017.

1. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Still a couple miles from the launch spot? My preferred ramp is about 2 miles back in a cove off the main lake. Around dusk I could see the wind rapidly decreasing, but still a good mile from the cove entrance. By the time I got to the cove with the last two miles to go, the wind dropped to "calm". I wasnt going to paddle two miles, but without rustling about in the boat ( I just laid down in the cockpit), I ghosted along at about a knot. Every boat or SeaDoo wake would stop me almost dead and take another amount of time to get moving. No chop...just glass...so I could whisper along. Took about 2+ hrs for that last little bit.

For this reason....I carefully regard those light wind days and dont stray far. But yesterday got me and I ramped out just after dark.

2. Alan S. Glos

Alan S. Glos Active Member

Any sailor who has sailed for a long time has been becalmed miles from home a few times. Larger boats usually have auxiliary power, but Sunfish, Lasers and the like don't. A one handed paddle is handy as you can paddle and steer at the same time. If you can get up to 2 mph, you can do a mile in 1/2 hour. Yes, plan carefully and stay close to home when the wind is very light.

Alan Glos
    Caznovia, NY

3. Dion_Dunn

Dion_Dunn Member

Its happened to me more than once this season on the Ohio River while I'm downstream. Try ghosting along back to the start/finish line during a race when you are also fighting a .5 - 1 ft per second current! Stay close to shore and ride the warm air coming off of the shoreline. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

Yes....and my phone is in my waterproof pouch...should I need picking up at an alternate location....someday .....

5. mixmkr

mixmkr Active Member

I did use the land breeze at one point. However a 45ft SeaRay wake would shake any shape and wind out of the sail and want to push me ashore!

• Like Like x 1