Another twist in the UK tale

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by jeffers, Aug 30, 2012.

1. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Hi all,

Had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night. He has just purchased a new Laser in the UK. I asked where he bought it from and he advised that he ended up pay ILCA directly for it (I didn't ask where he actually collected it from though).

This is a new one on me! There are currently 2 dealers in the UK so some spares are available.

He did confirm that the serial number did imply that it was a UK built hull as well. Look like Laser Performance is well and truly dead in all but name.....

2. Deimos

Deimos Member

Earlier in the year I needed a new cover. I actually liked the one I had previously from Laser Performance (though apparently many don't), but they had none (my guess is that suppliers tend to stop sending goods when you stop sending money ... no evidence that this was the reason, just my guess). They were changing to a new US supplied one, had pictures but "no stock for the foreseeable future". Then more urgently I needed a new bailer and it took me ages of phoning round to get one.

My experience of the spares situation is that it is a nightmare. This has to be impacting the reputation of the class and will undoubtedly cause others to selected other classes. I think the situation needs resolving and ironically the rule change the ILCA could not make gives them (with Kirby) the power to resolve the situation. Find another builder, setup an appropriate contract with Kirby, select a decent name and go. I believe a change of name will impact the class far less than the ongoing farce that we have at the moment.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  3. TonyB

TonyB Member

ILCA bought some boats to use as charters for the 4.7 Worlds in Argentina a few months ago and are now selling them off. The ad on their website quotes £4500 - is that cheap for a boat in the UK?

4. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Doesn't sound very cheap to me! But then again if i was spending that sort of cash on a boat I would not buy a Laser.

5. Deimos

Deimos Member

Current UK pricing for 4.7 (including sales tax, etc.):
    Laser Classic: £4,389
    Laser Race: £4,592
    Laser XD: £4,847

Same for Standard. Even if it's the most expensive XD version that is only £350 off full RRP for a brand new one !! Without knowing the market, nor the condition of the boats I would expect that price to drop when they cannot be sold.

HOWEVER, given the rumours of no availability of new Lasers, it might just be that those boats are the only option for people who want a new boat and "being stuck between a rock and a hard place" overprices 2nd hand is the best available. A bit like people who buy a new iPhone on the day it is release and put it on eBay for twice the price they paid - laws of supply and demand.

6. torrid

torrid Just sailing

What about the leftover Olympic boats?

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Might be "difficulties" there. Boats in Olympics are not class legal (e.g. sails) so to turn them into class legal boats replacement/new sails would be needed and presumably these would need to come from Laser Performance in the UK. And this brings us back to the subject of this thread ...

8. torrid

torrid Just sailing

So what is going on with the Sunfish class? They don't have the design rights drama we have, but I would assume they are experiencing similar problems in obtaining new boats or spare parts.

9. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

I was talking to some Sunfish sailors at a regatta earlier in the year and their story back then was that LP weren't making Sunfish any more.

On the other hand, LaserPerformance are currently running a competition on their Facebook page in which the prize is a "brand new complete 60th Anniversary Sunfish" so presumably they are now, or will be, making some new Sunfish. Or at least one!

I have entered the competition to spread my risk. If the day comes when I can't buy Laser parts or a new Laser, I might have to go back to racing Sunfish.

10. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

LP is producing some Sunfish for charters for the worlds in October. Sounded like they were starting up the line just for these boats. And LP is not providing any of the charters. All are being offered by dealers. The spare parts problem is the same for Sunfish. If you are lucky, you can find a sail here or there, but in general there are very few parts to be had. Whatever you don't break Sunfish rudder cheeks - they seem to be completely unavailable! BB

11. BLS

BLS New Member

I was really looking forward to buying a new Laser and then start my sailing adventures. Now I think I'll wait a little longer and purchase an A-Class or F16 catamaran.

I had high hopes for owning a Laser but the class as a whole has been a complete disappointment for me. I can't even buy a new boat!

12. Tillerman

Tillerman Member

Hmmm. I think I have some old Sunfish parts stashed in the basement somewhere. Maybe I should dig them out and put them on eBay?

13. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

Wait what? Not class legal sails and equipment? What makes you think that? The sails look legal to me, got the button, the logo, everything.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

The sails would be class legal with a bit of work. Removal of the flags and olympic insignias and addition of the relevant sail numbers.

15. rugger_sailor

rugger_sailor New Member

Don't forget the 2 lb cameras on the bow.

16. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

They kept falling off didn't they.....

17. Eric_R

Eric_R D10 Secretary

I doubt people would want to use that sail anyway. The rest of the boat is legal.

18. torrid

torrid Just sailing

Looks like there will indeed be some boats available. It won't let me watch the video because of my location.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-19285263

[​IMG]

19. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

The BBC video tells us that 72 of the 100 boats have been sold (for £5360) as of the date of the report. The camera mounts are being removed, the holes are being filled, and the bruises will be fixed.

Tom Slingsby's boat will be kept by LP as a souvenir.

20. Deimos

Deimos Member

That's more expensive than a brand new boat !! (from the same company) Bargain ?