Andrew Campbell Sailing Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
This thread will feature the latest posts from the US Olympic sailor Andrew Campbell's sailing blog at CampbellSailing.com!

Medal Racing in Kiel

As reported by Brad Nichol:After a long week of waiting for wind we finally got some good sailing in today. Three of the regatta’s four races were completed today in light lumpy conditions. It was very close sailing with hectic mark roundings and a lot of shuffling amongst the teams. Going into the last race [...]

More...

3rd in Medal Race, 7th at Kieler Woche

Kiel finished up today in fine form with 8-12 knots of northerly breeze under clear blue sunny skies. We had a medal race scheduled for 12:20 this afternoon only 150 yards off the Kiel harbor entrance. The conditions were choppy from spectator traffic and quite shifty as the course was in the lee of the [...]

More...

Lessons in Log Canoe Racing

After more than my fair share of overseas Starboat competition, traveling around the country to match-race, or race on the Melges 32 circuit, I lucked into being in the US during the first Log Canoe race of the season hosted by the Miles River Yacht Club on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. For those who [...]

More...

Silver Heel at St Michaels

Here are a few of the photos of us racing in St. Michaels last weekend. * ** I don’t care how good you are… Everybody wipes out!

More...

Match Racing in Full Swing Before the Star Worlds

*After Kiel Week and some time off mid-summer, these two weeks in my schedule are being completely devoted to match racing. Last week I hit the road north to Oyster Bay for a three day clinic and two day invitational match race at the Oak Cliff Yacht Club in their fleet of six Swedish Match [...]

More...

Windy Leadup for the ‘09 Star Worlds

The anamometer down at the Varberg Yacht Club’s boatpark reads in big red digital letters. To the casual American observer, the gusts to 20 and average windspeed of 16 seems like a breezy afternoon, but nothing worth writing home about. When you look more closely you realize that the read-out is in Meters per Second [...]

More...

Varberg Worlds Off to a Good Start

Photo: Mark Ivey The first race of six at the 2009 Star Worlds started on time today at 12pm about 4 miles off Sweden’s west coast. 7-15 knots of southeasterly breeze demanded that we were well offshore to get us racing in steady conditions. We had shifty conditions favoring the left hand side for the [...]

More...

Rainy Conditions Continue in Varberg

We waited ashore yesterday for two hours before setting out to the course for race two. We sailed downwind and across to the far edge of the racing circle before attempting to start in a southerly breeze, but just after the gun a 100 degree righty disrupted the race and forced the committee to abandon. [...]

More...

Lack of Wind Plagues Star Worlds

The only weather we had yesterday here in Varberg was teeming rain during our commute to the club. Wind was nowhere to be found and the 85 boats never left the dock. We waited until about 230pm before the race committee decided that the forecast was indeed correct and we wouldn’t have race-able conditions for [...]

More...

Two Races at the Star Worlds: “Champagne Sailing”

Photo credit: friedbits.comIn the words of my friend Dave Wright, today in Sweden we had: “Champagne Sailing.” 7-12 knots of sunny seabreeze, 68-70 degrees, and just enough wave action to get a nice ride with a little work. The difficult part of the sailing today was getting around the current. The racecourse was painfully one-sided [...]

More...

5th into the Final Race at Star Worlds

With one race left in this Star World Championships Magnus and I are fifth. It has been our goal the entire event to just be in the hunt on the last day of the regatta, and along with only five other boats in the 86 boat fleet, we can say we’ve met our goal so [...]

More...

Not Enough Wind for Day 6 of Star Worlds. Standby for Reserve Day Saturday

AP went up right on schedule yesterday at 1155 as the breeze died to about 4 knots for rest of the afternoon. There were pulses of what seemed like race-able wind, but the steady stuff never really made it’s way through. And so, we waited. We waited until 4 o’clock when finally a finger of [...]

More...

5th at the Star Worlds, Szabo/Peters take Top Prize

Race six turned out to be a rough one on a few of the players in top ten. Six of those boats were lined up on the leeward half of the line heading to the left side of the racecourse on the first beat of the day as a 30 degree righty with more breeze [...]

More...

More Lessons from Log Canoe Racing

This past weekend we raced with the formidable Silver Heel log canoe in the Oxford Heritage Regatta hosted by the Tred Avon Yacht Club on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Seven boats showed up for the event all filled to the brim with 10 to 15 people slipping and sliding down the boards keeping this [...]

More...

2nd at Knickerbocker Cup

* photo courtesy of Paula Davis* Sailing with Dave Perry at the helm, Doug Clark trimming and Susan Daly on the bow, we had a great four days of racing*in front of*the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club for the 2009 Knickerbocker Cup Grade 2 Match Race. Very light and tricky conditions were the theme of the weekend. Sailing [...]

More...

Silver Heel Action Shots

For those of you that haven’t seen these Chesapeake Log Canoes in action, or choose not to believe it even when you have seen it: here are a few photos from a couple weekends ago. Courtesy of Bassirou Sarr, (Click to see the full size image) **************************** * Inside Choptank Light.*******Six feet wide, fourteen people-full. ****************************** * Upwind duck, [...]

More...

Welcome to Weymouth

Well actually we’re racing off outside of little town of Portland, England. Here’s a look at the glamour conditions we’ve had here the last few days. Racing will start here at the Sail for Gold regatta held on the future Olympic site for the 2012 Games. More to come over the next few days.*?

More...

Tough Day at the Track

We’ve had better days of racing this season, but that’s how it goes after five or six events in Europe. There are bound to be tough days. With just 20 boats it would seem that the racing might be easier, but there are still five former world champions on the starting line, the top six [...]

More...

Blustery Second Day at Sail For Gold - Weymouth

When we heard from our weather guy Doug Charko that we should expect at least 5 knots more than yesterday, we knew we were in for some serious breeze. When we showed up to the sailing center the weather confirmed his forecast. The wind was steady 20 knots gusting into the mid twenties forcing the [...]

More...

Blustery Second Day at Sail For Gold - Weymouth

When we heard from our weather guy Doug Charko that we should expect at least 5 knots more than yesterday, we knew we were in for some serious breeze. When we showed up to the sailing center the weather confirmed his forecast. The wind was steady 20 knots gusting into the mid twenties forcing the [...]

More...

Poised for a comeback… still.

“If it were easy, everybody would be doing it.” That’s what my coach Bill Ward used to say about racing on the international circuit. Let me tell you, this week has been testimony to just that. Even with a smaller fleet, the quality of the Sail for Gold regatta this year is presenting a formidable [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: 21 Sept 2009

What a regatta Sail for Gold ended up being! Yikes.*It didn’t seem like we were able to get any breaks throughout the event. The strong northeasterlies forced us to sit ashore for a day and a half of what could have been very good racing. When racing was possible, our course was one of the [...]

More...

Hinman Trophy Quarter Finals in the Rain today

After a day of spectacular wind and 95 races on Friday followed by a classic late summer shifty-turned-beautiful southerly yesterday, the quarterfinal round of the Hinman will likely be sailed in rainy and windy conditions today. After going 9-6 in the opening round robin, Team SDYC was relegated to the middle “silver” group of 6 [...]

More...

Hinman Report: Team SDYC 4th

Photos from the event* New England gave us the full variety of late summer weather this weekend during the 2009 Hinman Trophy. In a lot of ways it reminded us of the week we just spent in “old” England with more than enough wind, chilly temperatures, and rain all day on Sunday. Conditions yesterday were at the [...]

More...

Monday Morning Tactician: Bermuda Gold Cup 2009

Photo from the*Gold Cup*This past week has been quite a week of sailing.*Lots of firsts.*It was my first time to Bermuda. It was my first time racing the IODs. It was my first Grade 1 match race. It*was my first time racing as a bowman. It was the first time I’d seen a judge boat [...]

More...

Melges 24 Worlds well under way in Annapolis

Today was the second day of racing out of downtown Annapolis at the 2009 Melges 24 World Championships. Full results can be found at*http://www.melges24worlds2009.com/results.asp. The regatta has been sailed in mixed conditions so far. Yesterday was crystal clear and a dying northerly. Today was almost the complete opposite with heavy clouds and drizzle most of [...]

More...

Melges 24 Worlds: Team Kirby finishes 12th

After a long week of patience in the self-proclaimed sailing capital of America, we finally got some double digit breeze on Saturday for the last races of the 2009 Melges 24 World Championships. It was a long week of sailing in Annapolis. The wind was fickle at times, light mostly, and the conditions were on [...]

More...

The Starting Line - Can you show me where it is? Is it even there?

After spending a weekend back on the college circuit, helping Coach Callahan and Georgetown Sailors Chris Barnard and Charlie Buckingham at the Singlehanded Nationals in Corpus Christi, one glaring question still sticks in our minds: Can somebody please define the term: starting line?Sailors who appeared to be winning the pin end at starts were called [...]

More...

Starting Lines Best Defined: “In the eye of the beholder”

After a 32 comments and counting… I think that we’ve*sufficiently beat this into the ground. There were some pretty interesting levels of confusion for what should be a simple issue. Likewise, moments of “Aha! It really is a fuzzy definition” from a lot of pretty smart people.Tactically, from the racer’s point of view, we always [...]

More...

Practice Race in Rio today

We sailed the practice race today before the South American Championships starts tomorrow sailed out of the ICRJ (Iate Clube do Rio de Janeiro). Brad and I put up the new jib today to make sure it was all set to go. The distance to the race course sails literally in the shadow of Sugar [...]

More...

Two Days, Three Races so far at the South Americans

Brad and I started the regatta with a strong showing in a light seabreeze on Thanksgiving. The 85+ degree temperatures and still relatively cooler ocean provided great conditions for a building thermal as we raced two races. We were fourth to the first windward mark of the regatta and sailed on to a second in [...]

More...

South American Champs: Out with a Whisper

*Thanks Mach for the photosThe final day of the South American Championships in Rio was officially a dud. We sat onshore well after the usual haul-in time waiting for a fleeting northerly to die and allow the steady southerly or westerly to fill. It never did. And we were left stranded in the hot and [...]

More...

Melges 32 Gold Cup Wrap-up

Thanks Joy for the photos. Team Ninkasi took a fourth place finish in the fleet of 23 boats at the 2009 Melges 32 Gold Cup last weekend of Fort Lauderdale. Owner John Taylor at the helm took his team through a very consistent series and ultimately was within striking distance of the lead going into the [...]

More...

150+ Days in ‘09: Onward to 2010

Getting 150 days sailing in 2009*is a bit difficult for even me to understand. With the Lasers sold and a new Olympic class in the mix, I’m not sure I could have*forecasted a*year like this one. Three world championships in the J24, Melges 24, and Star show the keelboat theme. Actually I think I can [...]

More...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back