Alum rail bumper replacement

Discussion in 'Sunfish Wanted Ads' started by soapysails, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soapysails

soapysails soapysails

Hi all, I have just finished a restoration on a early model SunFish.. I have three pieces of alum rail on this boat. The 1st. covers the bow back to the splash Gard.(port and starboard) The 2nd and third are longer and end are the stern, coming together at the rudder center. I'm missing the Port side rail.. it is approx 8' long including the short bend at the stern. Can any one help with a used part or help me locate that piece ?

soapy:rolleyes:

2. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

When I refurbished my 81 the old trim broke when I took it off. sunfishdirect.com sells the trim in 5 foot lengths for $24 each. Seven pieces = $168...way more than I was willing to spend. I went to Lowes and bought 1/4" glass channel in 8' lengths and it worked out pretty good. It was a little tough getting it to bend around corners. I used my little benzine torch and heated it up. With the material hot I worked it on and made the bends ok. I had to crimp the trim where it tried to flair in the middle of the bends to get it back flat. The 8' lengths eliminate several seams.

3. minas man

minas man Member

Was this an aluminum channel or plastic? Would like to see pictures and the profile of this rub rail edging.
    I have a 66 fish that needs all new rub rails and I can't bring myself to pay that much for the rail.

><> Minas Man <><

4. rhr@cebridge.net

rhr@cebridge.net Member

View attachment channel.bmp

Not sure if the picture is going to work but if you Google 1/4" glass channel you will see what it looks like. It is aluminum and shaped like a "U" but with squared lower corners. It fits the flange perfectly and is the same depth as the original rounded stuff.

5. minas man

minas man Member

Thank you for the picture and discription I will check localy for this aluminum glass channel.

><> Minas man <><

6. cjobara

cjobara New Member

I have used a vinyl covered piece of aluminum purchased from McMasters catalog. That worked great for me. Only trouble was that it came in black only. I went ahead and installed it, then puchased a FX Sails all black jolly roger sail. Final product looked great!

Attached Files:

7. minas man

minas man Member

Thank you for sharing your solution to the over priced rub rail that Sunfish sells. When prices get so ridicules people start looking for less expensive alternatives. Nice job you would think that it was stock edging. I am confident that I will be able to find a similar product for half the price of original edging.

><> Minas man <><

8. divimon2000

divimon2000 New Member

I think the pricing has a lot to do with how much it costs to make and how little demand there is. I've been looking for stuff for another project and it's virtually impossible to find in less than 100' rolls. It's all plastic now. Nothing beats that old shiny alum or chrome trim on a classic.

Just sayin..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.