All about to kick off....

Discussion in 'Laser Class Politics' started by Laser Tim, Feb 16, 2013.

1. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Wonder how long it will take the Torch class to gain International status and be able to hold a Worlds? Given BK sued ISAF, I can imagine ISAF may be in no hurry to grant the Torch international status when it becomes eligible. Until Torches can hold a worlds, I guess the Laser Worlds will continue? i wonder if at some point there will be a Laser Worlds and a Torch Worlds? Altho the fact that Laser sails, new hulls, etc. will be unobtainable probably makes continuing Laser worlds highly unlikely. This sure is a weird situation!

2. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Lu. That photo of yours is a nice thing. It is fun to see who is doing the typing. My puppy shot to the left of this post should have been updated years ago.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. USA182772

USA182772 Member

Any suggestions on buying a new laser...

4. beldar boathead

beldar boathead Well-Known Member

Find a dealer with one with a plaque (I think at this point they all have them) and buy it. As of a few weeks back LP in Rhode Island had quite a few in the warehouse, both US and UK made.

5. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

I'd hold off though, wait to see how it pans out.
    You never know, the torch could well work out to be cheaper than the current "Lasers"

6. LooserLu

LooserLu LooserLu

Same as 'Icetea'advised: If you plan to race very competitive: "You never know..."! So, hold on now, in the moment, if you plan to buy a new boat (For me: about 6000US$/€ is a lot of money!), till the 'Crisis at Laserland' is more openly!

If you plan to mostly more sail recreational, beside of ambitious racings, I would say: 'beldar boathead' is correct. Or much better: sail on, another season, your "USA 182772"-"TGIF"-Dinghy.

From outside of the NA-Continent ... Just my 2 €-cent to advice &
    Ciao
    LooserLu

7. CaptainAhab

CaptainAhab Active Member

It would be interesting if they standardized all of the fittings and went all Harken for everything if by simple economics they could get the prices down on the fittings. I'm thinking vang, ratchet block, mainsheet/traveler blocks, down haul, outhaul. Make it all Harken. Get rid of those old school plastic Holt blocks forever. I hope they start with a radial cut full sail. This is the perfect opportunity to make the changes they've already decided to eventually implement.

8. torrid

torrid Just sailing

For the immediate future, the Torch will need the same fittings and same sail as the existing Laser. BK isn't trying to sell a new boat, he's trying to sell 40 years of history and 200,000+ boats to compete against. Any changes should be rolled out for new and existing boats at the same time, or the whole scheme falls apart.

9. USA182772

USA182772 Member

Yea! cheaper would be good! I remember in 1974 a group of sailors bought 10 lasers @ $600 each. If you plug $600 into the bls.gov CPI Inflation Calculator the same buying power today would be $2825.55....Lasers today have outperformed the CPI by more than a double....

10. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

Wow. Imagine how many more people would be sailing if they remained that price....that's less than most second hand boats go for.

11. Slipstream

Slipstream Member

Lower the price, sell more, make up for lower margins through higher volume?

12. Icedtea

Icedtea New Member

I doubt they would make more...the market is too diverse, most of the people who would buy new boats are doing so... BUT it would get mote people out on the water playing the game...at that is more important than anything else!

13. torrid

torrid Just sailing

It appears we do have our third class association:

http://www.kirbytorch.com/members

Just like LPU, I'll play along for now. However, they need to demonstrate some sort of benefit to me if they start asking for money.

14. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

Maybe, just maybe, ILCA will wake up to reality...

15. Sailorchick

Sailorchick Member

No one has mentioned the sails and the buttons needed to be a class legal sail. Are the buttons restricted in the same way as plaques? In other words will sails become scarce whilst this is all going on or are ISAF still happily issuing sail buttons to LPE/Hydes/North etc for laser sails?

16. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

I guess that will depend on who the royalties are payable to for the sails. They might be payable to ILCA/ISAF in which case there is no issue and the legal action seems to be specific to hulls, issuing of hull plaques and use of the construction manual. As far as I am aware new sails are pretty hard to come by at the moment anyway....

17. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

No issue with sail buttons. Not sure how LPE has the deals structured in Europe with their remaining dealers, but in the US/Canada, dealers order the sails direct from North Sails, so there shouldn't be a supply issue (if there is, just try another dealer)

18. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

Hyde are/were the supplier in the UK. I am told they are not making sails for the Laser at the moment for various reasons.

19. Sandgrounder

Sandgrounder New Member

There is no shortage of sails in the UK, though there is only 1 dealer and the price has crept up to £450.

20. jeffers

jeffers Active Member

1 dealer but 2 outlets...Purple and Northampton Sailboats.

The sails will likely be of North manufacture too.