Accelerating at the start - playing devil's advocate

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by SFBayLaser, Feb 16, 2007.

1. lightninggeorge

lightninggeorge New Member

Personally, I avoid anything that looks like pumping and only skull to get around in a bad tack.

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

OK, time to be the umpire

Anybody see any rule 42 violations ?

Attached Files:

3. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

184130 do your turns!

Look at the guy in the red boat, 159047 looking over at 184130 after he did that HUGE pump! Wonder what he's saying?

4. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Would your opinion change if he had been heeled like that for 20 seconds (It's a way to protect your hole) why or why not ?

What about if the pic before the 1st showed 184130 tacking and these two pics were the rest of his tack ?

What about 180533 (a few boats to the right) ?

5. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

I didn't read this whole thread (or any of it) because it would give me a head ache..But as an observor of starts at the RMOCR this past winter, judges were real quick with the flags pre-start for sculling and excessive rolling..

6. Rob B

Rob B Active Member

LAy your boat on its side to protect a leeward hole? Never seen that done on purpose.

I don't see room for him to have tacked in there, but if he had it's clear he gained more speed coming out of the tack than he had when he went in. He gained at least a half a boat length on the red boat when he came out of the tack. That's a 42 violation.

The other boats? Some are moving, but nothing like that guy.

7. lightninggeorge

lightninggeorge New Member

Ya know when yer pumping-
    Interesting story-I was racing with an old retired guy in the middle who knew my boat real well- well, we're racing, and he was a great coach-I mean great-he knew it all. So we're rounding a mark, and a guy fouls me bad. Well Bill gets very upset. He said, "This is Corinthian sailing!" And he didn't explain, and the race took over the conversation, but I learned something that day.

8. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

Ok, by now most people should have received their latest issue of The Laser Sailor where this situation was addressed in the Q&A with Bill O'Hara.

If, after having read either of the articles in TLS (Bill's or the companion article on judging by Bob Bowden - Rob's dad!) people have further questions then please pass them along to us. We can do a series of follow up questions for the next issue.

Tracy