a rattling hull

nikobrogna

I have recently stripped my entire deck of all fittings and fasteners, in preparatin to refinish it, after doing all the needed glasswork. It was in bad shape. I repaired all of the holes, cracks, and gelcoat crazing. The deck is just about ready to be refinished. However, I still have not been able to completely eliminate the rattling noise that occurs when I roll the boat over, or move it very much. I have cut a hole for a deck plate in the area between the splashguard and daggerboard slot, and have been able to remove a few small chunks of foam. It isn't the white foam that the big flotation blocks are made of, but a different, tan colored foam. I think that I got most of this foam out. I filled the boat with water (I was pretty frustrated at the time, and now realize that it might not have been such a good idea to fill the boat with 100 gallons, or about 800 pounds, of water) and all of the foam piieces floated to the top, where I was able to vacuum them out. I also have removed small pieces of a flakey greenish material, that I think is what the backing blocks for the fittings were made up of. These pieces did not float. There is still a lot of rattling going on, and I can't seem to get whatever it is making the noise to move near the hole that I cut. It sounds that there is a larger piece, and many smaller ones, forward of the hole. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks,
-Nick

The green stuff is a type of glue used to hold the wooden backing plates in. If the rattling you get is louder than what the foam would make, then my guess it is the green stuff. If it is, for example, between the starboard foam block towards the bow, and the starboard side of the hull, you'd have to lift the bow up, get the green stuff to roll/slide back, then tip the boat to port to get the stuff by the port where you could get it. All that said, why bother? Just leave it in - eventually it will tumble to a place where you can get at it, and if it doesn't, who cares? BB

It may also be the wood blocks that backed up the different fittings you have removed. If so, you will find out when you go to reattach them. You may need to add an inspection port to reach a spot where one fell from.

The greenish stuff is glue used to hold things in place during assembly. The brown foam is the two part expanding foam that is used as glue to hold the white styrofoam blocks in place.

Good Luck,

I had the same problem when I rebuilt my fish 3 years ago, I added front and rear inspection ports and got some Great stuff and also some epoxy and tried to reseal all the foam blocks in place, and i also had to replace most of the wood blocks, this helped but i was never able to get all the rattle out, mine I believe came from either the foam blocks or a piece of wood that is around the foot well and i can not get to that area,i finally gave up and live with it!

Nick - Could be the bridle eyestrap backing blocks bouncing around trapped by the rear floatation foam (rear 5" port, hacksaw blade to cut the foam, Great Struff (works good foam to foam) or Gorilla glue to glue the foam back together. Or some hungry squirrel stored some nuts in there if the hole for the port was left open for any time (yes, it happened to me). Otherwise it is just probably old bedding foam that has broken free, not to worry.

jschick- the Great Stuff will probably need replacing soon, it does compress and does not stick very well to the fiberglass (I tried it). I have used 4 lb., 2 part foam from U.S. Composites and it has taken some pretty good pounding and not come loose. See yahoo SF Sailor for a "How To" on resetting the blocks.

yea now that you mention it I used a 2 part mix, used the great stuff on my Hot tub!! I remember it being a real mess.

Back