58" roof rack crossbars wide enough to cartop Sunfish and get everything tied down?

DanielF

I'm in the process of finishing up my Yakima roof rack and acquiring a used Sunfish. What I'm wondering is whether or not the default 58" crossbars, which I have not purchased yet, are wide enough to mount and tie down the hull AND all the rigging (poles, sail, mast, etc.). A transom width measurement would be helpful as would a measurement for the middle of the boat and the widest part. Thanks!

my older Sunfish with the aluminum trim is about 48" at the widest point. my newer Sunfish with the rolled edges is a little wider, mabye 49 or 50" wide. the transom area is about 24" wide. I roll my sail up to the booms, so the rolled up sail with the (2) booms and mast all together are about 6 to 8 inches wide, laying flat. you could probably get creative in how you tie them to the roof rack, though.

so, it seems like the 58" rack bars should work, but I've never used them.

fwiw, a few times several years ago, I put my 48" wide Super Porpoise (similar to a Sunfish) on my 48" wide standard roof racks on our Tahoe. I can't remember how I tied the sail/booms/mast down, too - but I somehow managed to get it to work!

good luck,
thad

yes, mine are 58"
11mewbs.jpg

Back