News 41st Orange Coffee Pot Regatta

J

Jon Deutsch

Every year, sailors from all over the east coast drive to Surf City, NJ, in early June for the annual Jack Elfman Orange Coffee Pot Regatta. This event is the longest running Laser regatta in the United States, with a perpetual trophy—an actual orange coffee pot—that goes back to 1972.
This year, forty boats descended on Surf City Yacht Club on June 2nd to sail for the coveted Orange Coffee Pot. We were met with temperatures in the low 70s, winds ranging from 6-16 knots, and a shifty westerly breeze that made racing tricky for all.
Drew Lorenz showed that top young sailors can jump into the 4.7 and have success quickly by winning his division. Kelly McGlynn exerted her dominance in the radial fleet by winning every race. And I was able to hold off Kyle Rogachenko and a handful of other talented guys in a deep full-rig fleet.

View article on Laser.org

I believe that the 'I' in the (last sentence) in the above report is Clay Johnson, the winner in the Full-rig division.

^that's correct. it just picked up my name because I had posted it to the class site. I've made that a little clearer on the website.

Back